using marine radio

loghomer

Seaman
I must be in the big leagues now that I have a marine radio. My questions are....When I am fishing I can hear boats close by with their radios on and guys talking back and forth(charter capts I guess.) Will this drain a battery during a day and also I would suspect they are on a seperate channel other than 16.. 16 is the emergency channel right?

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: using marine radio

Here's a list of channels and their purpose http://wireless.fcc.gov/marine/vhfchanl.html <br /><br />This link will help answer any question you may have about VHF, me thinks... http://wireless.fcc.gov/marine/fctsht14.html <br /><br />At some boating supply stores, they have a sticker with all the channels listed (i have one cause i can't remember em' all :confused: ).. Stick one next to your radio... That'll help you remember...

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Loghomer,<br />I've sat for days on end with both my cd player and my VHF on and haven't had any problems with the battery, if that helps you at all.<br />Channel 16 is a 'hailing' frequency and an emergency channel. You can call the party you want to talk to, and after they reply, you should move your conversation to another channel (68, 69, 71, 72, 78, for example). I dual-watch my home channel (68) and channel 16.

crab bait

Captain

you are a perfect cannidate for the uscg powersquadarin boatin' coarse.... <br /><br />it's good ,,,it's fun,,,it's cheap... an i'll give you my john henry you'll learn somethin'...<br /><br />whenever you have your radio on in an idle listenin' position,,, it MUST BE ON CHANNEL 16... by law of USCG...<br /><br />think about it... <br /><br />it's the only way it can work... <br /><br />everone on the same channel as to answer a call of help... then switchin' to a user channel for communication... switchin' back to 16 after said & done...

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Loghomer<br />You got some very good info here. In terms of battery life your radio draws very little power in recieve mode. When you actually here someone talking it draws more but still very little. Durning transmit in the 1 watt mode uses more power but still very low battery drain. Durning transmit in the 25 watt mode most radios draw 4 to 6 amps. That is about the same as leaving your headlites on. <br />Channel 16 is calling and distress and must be monitored when not useing the radio. Many boater out here will use two radios and leave one on 16 all the time while the other is tuned to a popular fishing channel or scanning many channels. Many radios also have DUAL WATCH. This feature allows you to set the primary channel to 16 and a secondary channel for listening to a fish channel or what ever. Then the radio checks Channel 16 every few seconds and if anyone useing it will lock on 16.<br /><br />As noted before you must monitor 16 when radio not in use. Also if you should hear a MAYDAY you must copy down all information you hear along with the time. Coast guard will normaly respond to all MAYDAYS but should they not here it then you should call Coast Guard and relay all the information. Many times Coast Guard will also ask if any other vessels herd MAYDAY. Again if you herd it you should respond. Many times they are trying to get as least a general area of the transmission.<br /><br />Good idea to know what channel are used for different functions in your area. Like out here Bridges and locks use channel 9 or 12, marinas and gas dock use 68 most of the time. If your meetting a large ship in a narrow channel call ahead and ask if he sees you and which side he would like to pass on. (channel 12 1 watt out here) Offshore vessels use 13.<br /><br />Last I agree with Crab Bait, take a US Coast Guard Aux class or a US Power Squadrons class. I take one every five year just to stay current. My entire CREW has PASSED the US Coast Guard Aux boating skills and seamanship class. If you ever get in a MAYDAY situation the more you and your crew know the better your chances. You need to know what 1,2,3,5 or more short beeps on the horn mean. Anyway it is fun and well worth the time. Classes usually free but you will have to buy the Book. Out here they have shortened all the classes. I ask why in my last class and the answer I got was that most people just take the class to get a discount on their insurance and they will not sign up for the longer classes.<br />Good Luck and enjoy your new radio.