Using Loctite on Nyloc nuts

mannyq

Seaman
If Nyloc nut fasteners are only good for 1 to 2 removals, why can't you use the nut again with a thread locker like Loctite (RED or BLUE)? Seems that it would save on the cost of having to throw away good stainless hardware. Or is it just as simple as using stainless lock washers?<br /><br />Thanks for any feedback.

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Using Loctite on Nyloc nuts

You bet,loctite would work on the stainlees threaded portion. I've never had one come loose and I've re-used them way more than a couple of times. But the loctite isn't a bad idea. :cool:

Paul Moir

Admiral

Some stainless is active and some inactive. I'm willing to bet your bolts are 304 (inactive) so you should use the loctite primer too. I find it amazing how removing a blue loctite'd fastener feels so much like removing a nyloc locked fastener.

crab bait

Captain

wonder how 'waterproof' loctite is..<br /><br /> and my luck it would act as a nylon lubercant.

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

Paul, you got my curiosity going. What do you mean "active" or "inactive"? I've seen 304 rust where 316 just won't. Anything like that? Interesting choice of words, whoever coined them in that context.