Using a '79 Magnapower ignition on an '85 block

MostlyHrmlss

Seaman
I got the adapt-o-plate from Frank, and it worked a treat. I managed to break the timing belt while removing it from the '79, but I figure if it broke that easily coming off, it wouldn't have lasted long in use. I got another one on order. Your local NAPA can get them (Gates Industrial 180XL037) for $6, and it won't have been sitting on a shelf for 20 years like the ones you see on eBay for $15-30 plus shipping.

The first head-scratcher I ran into: The distributor mount holes on the '85 block aren't tapped. Do I have to tap them, or could I get away with just using smaller bolts and nuts?

MostlyHrmlss

Seaman
Re: Using a '79 Magnapower ignition on an '85 block

I also see that the two holes for the timing advance rod upper mount aren't tapped. Does anyone happen to know the thread size?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Using a '79 Magnapower ignition on an '85 block

Engine distributor mount bosses are tapped to 3/8 X16. I think the bolts are one inch long. Possibly 3/4 it depends upon whether or not you can get them under the flywheel. Do not use smaller diameter bolts with nuts as the mounting hole and slot on the distributor body are that size.

Timing rod mount is tapped 10-24 and uses fillister head screws, although this is not absolutely necessary. You can also use allen head (socket head) cap screws. You could also tap 10-32 and use that size screws.