Using 14ft skiff in winter?

NubMuffin

Cadet
Hello, I have a 14ft flat bottom skiff with a 9.9 hp tohatsu. I live in Maine, and it doesn't usually get below 0 far. The boat is in saltwater, and the temp of the water in the winter is around 30 in january. I would pull it up on the beach after each excursion, but is there anything wrong with leaving it there during the winter, and using it during the winter?

Thanks

Re: Using 14ft skiff in winter?

Assuming there is nothing to freeze it should be ok. Kind of hard on the engine though, starting it at 0F! Assuming it will start;)
Is it 2 or 4 stroke? If 4 you would have to change to a lighter weight oil. Also change the gas to fresh "winter grade" as it vaporizes more easily. Don't try and use the old summer gas in the tank.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

Storm Surge above High Tides could be an issue.

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer

I usually don't take my boat out of the water until ice starts forming overnight on the shoreline.
That's when I pull the docks out of the water and leave only the little tin boat on the shore.
While the boats are still out in the water I leave the foot down in the water.
When I start pulling it up on shore I pull the motor off, stand it up to drain the water out and then set it in the bottom of the boat prop down.
Never leave the motor up... water will freeze in the foot and crack it open!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

First make sure there is no water leaking into the gearcase. Then you will need to make sure all water is out of the motor. Standing it on it's skeg for a minute or two will do that. Can you stick it in a shed or something? Maine winters can be pretty tough on the paint job and mechanicals.

emoney

Commander

I would agree with Chris and think real hard about taking the motor off the boat and bringing it inside when you're not using it, if at all possible. the safest thing to do would be to move to Florida like I did so you don't have to deal with all these lingering questions.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

the advice given is good. Lots of people boat in those conditions; as a duck hunter I've hit some extreme cold on salt water but only occassionally.
another thing is to protect from a frozen gas line. Keep it inside, and always carry a spare but make sure it is drained. You may get to the blind on your warmed line, but you won't get home if it freezes while you are hunting--and getting home is most important.

remember to be safe; in those conditions you have only a minute or so to get out of the water if you fall in. Can you manage?

NubMuffin

Cadet

Well Florida is pretty far haha, but since it's only a 9.9 2stroke it doesn't weigh that much.

NubMuffin

Cadet

I swim in the ocean during the winter, so I'm pretty good about not wasting too much energy in the water. I know my limits, and being in good physical shape can easily get back in my boat.

pootnic

Chief Petty Officer

I swim in the ocean during the winter, so I'm pretty good about not wasting too much energy in the water. I know my limits, and being in good physical shape can easily get back in my boat.
??? Why
Anyway, if your in that good of shape take the motor off and bring it home,don't have to worry about someone with sticky fingers.If your to tired from swimming,leave the skeg in the water,saltwater takes abit to freeze.