Useful life

EvinFla

Seaman
What kind of average useful life can I expect out of my engine. I have a 1995 Evinrude 115. I do all of the appropriate maintenace after usage, with yearly tuneups. I know this is an ambivalent question. I was just curious if there is an average.<br /><br />Thanks

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: Useful life

1M - 2M hrs.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty<br /><br />Edit: I'm sure you mean 1K to 2K, Hooty. That is 1,000 to 2,000. 1M would be a million hours. JB

Red Rider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It’s hard to say. I have a 1989 90hp Evenrude on a 17 foot Bass boat that sees 45mph about a dozen weekends a year. I have an 1886 40hp Evenrude tracker on my workboat that sees close to 1000 hours on the meter every year. (Rebuilt once). I have a 1977 35hp Evenrude that is about worn out from 10 years on the work boat, (it was replace by the engine above), although I have thought about rebuilding it. Then there is a 1972 40hp Evenrude that was the original motor on the workboat, but now is another spare, but it has some life left in it. <br /><br />There is a 196? 100hp Johnson on the work barge, it just moves the 40 foot barge from one work site to another, gets maybe 100 hours on it a year. (This engine has been rebuilt twice). The 12-foot skiff for the barge uses a 1984 20hp Evenrude.<br /><br />Then I have a 1966 6hp Evenrude, and a 1971 9½hp Evenrude, on required life rafts. Neither has a lot of hours on them and they run about like they did when new, especially the 9½. <br /><br />I also have a spare motor, which is a 1988 15hp Chrysler that looks and is like brand new. It’s a Chrysler so it has never ran :( which is why it’s like new.<br /><br />I drain and flush my gas tanks at least once a month, and you would be surprised what you can get out of them. I use a water dissolving fuel additive, stable, and Sea Foam on a regular basis. I am really anal about the proper amount of oil and gas mixture. Just the exact amount to the ¼oz, no more, no less. I check and change spark plugs and tune up on a regular schedule. I have hour-meters on the electric start motors and Tiny-Tach (hour meters) on the non-electric start. Water pumps are another item that is changed regularly.<br /><br />Overheating and inadequate oil are in my opinion the two things that will wear out an outboard. Also I think that VRO or any oiling system is asking for engine trouble.<br /><br />Your milage may vary.

Red Rider

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Let me add, fresh water flushing even in fresh water is desired (gets the sand and dirt out) but it is a must in salt water. Zincs are a requirement even if the boat isn't left overnight in the water.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Thanks JB. I think that's twice I've done that. Another senior moment.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

bubbakat

Captain

I would agree with the others you would get plenty if life out of it.<br /><br />BTW hooty that is called near eye sight loss.<br />caters to us old folk :D :D