Used inflatables

stevm65

Recruit
Hi all,
I'm looking at used inflatables and it's a pretty common situation where folks have an older one(maybe late 90's) that they used a few times and then it's been stored in it's bag, folded up for years sometimes. I understand that the conditions in which it is stored, i.e. garage, cellar, temp, humidity, ect will be a factor but in general is this a reason to avoid a boat like that. Also the fabric(PVC or Hypalon) probably makes a difference. Any experience/advice?
Thanks,
Steve
PS, I don't mind if you respond to my reg email morroccos@cox.net

captharv

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Used inflatables

" This car was driven by a little old lady schoolteacher"
Traded it in on a Harley....
" Creme puff" Means it hit a bakery truck

" complete overhaul" we changed the spark plugs
"compltete tune up" we cleaned the spark plugs.
These were all sales hype phrases used to sell cars. be careful, the inlatables could use "stored in bag, little use.."

That said, hypalon is better than PVC. The fact that it is about 25% heavier tells you something in it self. besides, hypolon is a polymer over a fabric, where PVC is just plain plastic. ( and cheaper to make)
I have an older BAOTUS brand hypalon 9.3 that still looks new. I have also seen 2 yr old boats that look 20. Lets your eyes be the judge.
Next, if you go look at a boat, have the seller assemble and inflate it. This will show the P.I.T.A. factor of assembly. Then leave it inflated for a while, like a couple of hours, and see if it has a slow leak.
If it don't leak and looks like what you want, negotiate a price and buy it.
Captharv

miker-gr

Petty Officer 3rd Class

" This car was driven by a little old lady schoolteacher"
Traded it in on a Harley....
" Creme puff" Means it hit a bakery truck

" complete overhaul" we changed the spark plugs
"compltete tune up" we cleaned the spark plugs.
These were all sales hype phrases used to sell cars. be careful, the inlatables could use "stored in bag, little use.."

That said, hypalon is better than PVC. The fact that it is about 25% heavier tells you something in it self. besides, hypolon is a polymer over a fabric, where PVC is just plain plastic. ( and cheaper to make)
I have an older BAOTUS brand hypalon 9.3 that still looks new. I have also seen 2 yr old boats that look 20. Lets your eyes be the judge.
Next, if you go look at a boat, have the seller assemble and inflate it. This will show the P.I.T.A. factor of assembly. Then leave it inflated for a while, like a couple of hours, and see if it has a slow leak.
If it don't leak and looks like what you want, negotiate a price and buy it.
Captharv

:D:D;)
Only one thing hypalon is better than PVC.

Glenn_H

Recruit

I have a 1989 Achilles 12-1/2 foot boat, bought off craigslist. I've taken it out a few times, with a 10 hp 2-stroke, in both fresh and salt water. I like it very much, it is almost identical to my fishing buddy's boat, only somewhat newer.

The previous owner used it extensively in salt water in a harbor for many years, and it was well weathered. The guy kept it inflated in his garage, and trailered it around.

It is hypalon, with red color. The red is much cooler than gray, in the sun the gray gets too hot to sit upon (my buddy's boat is gray). I would get red if possible. Also, it is much more visible.

There is a ridge on my boat attached to the top of the tubes that goes all around, which has the rope handholds. This is a good feature, since it keeps water from climbing over the bow in chop. My buddy's boat is a 1983, and his does not have that feature at the bow. Water sprays into his boat, mine is much dryer. Look for that feature if possible.

Also, cut a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet to fit as a floor over the wood flooring. Mine has that, and I like it for a nonslip covering.

Both our boats are some 20 years old, with lots of use, and still going strong. I vote for hypalon fabric, and the Achilles make. A guy at work had an Avon, and his came apart (at the transom) after 10-12 years of admittedly heavy use.

The advantage is that an inflatable fits nicely in my minivan, no need for a trailer. You can launch and recover over a beach if necessary, or drive anywhere without dealing with a trailer. I made beaching wheels for it so I can move it around, but you can use a regular hand truck dolly. Although inflatables will bounce off a dock in a blow that would crack a solid boat hull, you will have to be very careful of nails, splinters, sharp rocks and protruding objects that could put a hole into the tubes.

Disadvantage is that inflatables are much more expensive for a similar sized boat, and that the tubes use up a lot of space for a similar envelope. I notice that craigslist has few inflatables for sale by comparison, and all are expensive. A generic 12-foot aluminum boat fits four adults, which would be very cramped in an inflatable.

Thank You

GlennH