Used boat - first launch inspection and key watch points

Dhopper71

Seaman
Hi all. Hope everyone is enjoying this holiday weekend! How great is it to celebrate our freedom?!?!

After searching and reading so many great purchasing and specific inspection lists, I was still at a loss for what I'm looking for. I guess my mother-in-law's paranoia is rubbing off, but my nerves are on the edge about launching my new old boat the first time.

I am a rookie boat owner. I just purchased a really nice 1974 Mark Twain 162T tri-hull and have really tried to look it over with a fine tooth comb. Everything appears to be in surprisingly great condition and seems to work as it should. I really haven't found anything to be overly concerned with ... however, I haven't had it in the water yet.

I think it's ready for the first day out for water trials. I really need help from all the experienced folks here on exactly what to look for during the initial launch and throughout the first day of testing. Can you pinpoint places to inspect for inconspicuous leaks? How about performance testing? What should I put the boat through in the first trip out to make sure it's safe and performing as it should before I get the family out on it?

Can you all help me come up with a checklist of tests and things to inspect during and after my first day? I really appreciate all the help and knowledge everyone here freely share.

Couple pics of the new old ride prior to cleanup:
5e896aeb.jpg

c0b77522.jpg

3f7418ae.jpg

385a7032.jpg

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Used boat - first launch inspection and key watch points

Spend the 4th of July weekend as an observer at the boat ramp you are going to use to see how, and how not, to launch and retrieve your boat. Wait 'til next week to take 'er out. After launching its all good.

The Rooster

Ensign

dhopper, the boat looks to be in unbelieveable shape. If possible, get a professional marine mechanic or surveyor to go through all the systems. Experienced friend, or family member on your maiden voyage wouldn't hurt either. Good luck, and keep us posted !!!

Dhopper71

Seaman

Thanks guys. Every bit of help is welcomed and much needed. Rooster - I'm still in a little awe over it's condition. I almost expect to find something wrong, because it seems to good to be true. Fingers crossed! Could be the best $850 I've spent.

I'll definitely continue watching the launching process until it's time for me to get my feet wet again so to speak. There are some scary folks out there to teach us what NOT to do.

I'm looking for the most important tests to run once I'm out on the water. It's been a couple decades since I spent much time on the water, so any tips on performance standards, trim response, steering and handling, rpm and speed, and overall feel to expect. Also, should I have the engine compartment open and be looking at the transom and such for leaks and anything else specific?

Just want as much imput from the vets here on what to look for and what to make sure I am testing out there. If there are any issues, I'd rather find them on the test voyage if at all possible.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That's a heck of a nice find for $850. Should really fly with a 140 in a 16'. I would expect over 40MPH if everything is running well.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

Spend the 4th of July weekend as an observer at the boat ramp you are going to use to see how, and how not, to launch and retrieve your boat. Wait 'til next week to take 'er out. After launching its all good.

This is EXCELLENT advice. You don't want to be learning the hard way on a holiday weekend. My local boat ramp was an absolute zoo yesterday afternoon; boat's being pulled out an average to maybe one every 3-4 minutes. That's no place for an inexperienced boater to try to fit in. Go during the week when you get your nerve up to actually try this yourself; it's much more relaxed and people don't get pissed if you're not at the top of your game. In the meanwhile, go to the ramp on the weekend to observe loading and unloading operations.... over and over. You will see a rhythm develop and error will jump out at you. The best part is that others will be the ones making them; not you!

Pay attention to where people pull up to on the ramp as they start their turnaround to back the trailer in, which way they turn their wheels initially, and how close to the sides of the ramp they try to stay. Why reinvent the wheel? Watch these other folks do it over and over again and you will learn what works without endangering that very nice boat of yours.

Before you pull the boat out of your driveway, lift up the engine cover and make sure the bilge area at the base of your engine is dry. If it isn't, note carefully how much water is in there. Check your oil, both for quantity and that it's not milky looking. Put the muffs on it and make sure you can get it started. You may want to let it warm up if the ramp isn't far; it makes it a lot easier to get a start at the ramp later. Check it again in the engine compartment to see how much water, if any is in there. Then take it to the ramp.

Making sure you place the rear plug first, back into the water. Make sure there is a line between the boat and somebody or something on shore so it doesn't just wander off.

After you've got it floating, lower your outdrive and crank up the engine. Lift the engine cover yet again and check for water. If you've got a leak, you'd much rather figure it out now when the trailer is right there than out in the middle of the lake or sound.

If you have any difficulty getting on plane at any time during your ride, lift that engine cover and examine for water. The weight of any water in there will tend to point your bow high and keep you off plane. If there is significant water, hit the bilge pump and get back to the dock ASAP.

When you are back on the trailer, pull the plug out of the transom and note any water that exits. It should be minimal if any. Two things I see all the time at the ramp which worry me: people who depend on their winch as the sole attachment to the front of their boat: there should be a safety chain there; preferably around the frame of the trailer and not merely attached to the winch seat.... USE IT. It seems like most people don't bother with transom straps either, which strikes me potentially as a big mistake.

I saw a guy yesterday pull a 19' OB onto his trailer equipped with rollers (no bunks) and his winch strap was TIED to its hook. Did he use a safety chain? Are you kidding? A brave man indeed. I watched him jerk that trailer right out of the water and was waiting for the strap to let go and deposit his baby on the ramp. It didn't but it sure could have. Don't be like that.

I will leave you with some words of dubious wisdom that I once gave one of my flying friends: "Anybody can jerk an airplane around. It takes skill to be smooth." That's what you want to be: smooth on the controls. The last person you want to be is the one everybody turns around to watch. That guy is an accident waiting to happen.

Dhopper71

Seaman

Excellent posts guys! Thank you so much. All the help and advice is much appreciated and certainly will be heeded.

Spent about 3 hrs watching at the lake Sunday. Crazy busy. Not a chance I was getting the boat out the first time in that mess. I'm not too scared of launching; just not ready to be out in the holiday weekend swarms! No way I could have gotten in and out near fast enough. And woe is the guy who gets stuck on a broken boat when it's that busy. No mercy.

I'm hoping to take her out Thursday for a test drive. I will definitely keep you guys posted. Any other tips or tricks out there?

Thanks for the boat compliments, too. I'm pretty proud of her so far. I just picked up a vintage new old stock convertible cover for get today. Another whopping $75! Anybody need one? There are more and in different sizes. Came out of an old boat shop owners storage. I'll add a pic tmrw.

top pic:
top1.jpg

Last edited: