Used Bass Boat Advice

revjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Buying a bass boat...looking at Astro, stratos, ranger, etc...years vary, engines vary...prices vary...how do I know I am getting a fair price...looking at spending 2-3000 for a boat with a 150 on the back...thanks for the help...I know it is a vague question.

mthieme

Captain
Re: Used Bass Boat Advice

2-3K for a what you want is a good price if the boat is in any kind of decent shape.
This should be the least of your worries.

revjim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Define...Least of your worries....thanks.

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

NADA is a start. Their values are not really a true set in stone guide, only a guide. Scan boattrader and the like to see where the market is. This can give you a good idea about values and what they are selling for. Keep in mind that this is getting to be the season for cheaper boats so prices might be lower than what they would be in the spring.​

Bass boats are not cheap, and even the used ones still go for some cash. 2-3K can get you into an older boat, but be careful that you don't end up with something that might look good, but has the stringer/transom rot problems that happen all the time. There are a lot of posts on this, so do a search and you should be able to come up with some ideas on what to look for.​

Paying a little more for a solid boat is better than getting a hulk for pennies, just to put a few grand and hundreds of hours of work in it.​

LubeDude

Admiral

This would be a tough one here in the Pacific Northwest as it's not exactly the Bass Boat capital of the world!

I hope you are a mechanic if you want a Bass Boat in that price range anywhere. Not that it couldn't happen, I myself have got deals in my lifetime. Just a good running 150 of any vintage will set you back what you want to spend.

Good Luck!

CATransplant

Admiral

Where are you? That will make a huge difference. For the money you're suggesting, in the Twin Cities, you're going to end up with something from the 1980s. Pay close attention to the outboard, since it's a lot easier/cheaper to fix boats than it is outboards if there's something wrong.

Also, in my area, a lot of bass boats get used on the river. Get down on your back and look for hull repairs on the bottom of the boat. They can be hard to see on the typical bass boat trailer. My neighbor is forever under his boat, patching the keel. You'd never know it unless you slid under the trailer and examined the boat closely.

If it were me, I'd think aluminum.

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

I own a '91 Astro w/135hp Merc.

Probably the last glass fishing boat I'll ever buy. Too easy to damage on the shores and docks around here. The docks are sloped concrete with the last 1/3 submerged. I'm not describing the RAMP which is also concrete pad, this is the actual dock you would tie up to if it were wood. Approaching them is always a nail biter with this boat. The only good thing is, they don't take the docks out for winter :) The shores are mainly coarse sand or rocks and that grinding sound (no matter how slowly or carefully you approach) cuts you to the core.

The engine is way too big for the way we use the boat. Even on the larger lakes and rivers, we just don't need/want to go 50-60mph. Most of our use is actually lugging the engine and it gets loaded up pretty fast. It also sucks down fuel. We typically use the trolling motor almost exclusively when fishing anyway.

The boat can easily do double duty and pull a tube or skier. But the freeboard is nil and in heavy boating traffic, that's a liability.

It's a beautiful, sparkle boat and a real pleasure to fish from. It can go wicked scary fast if you want and turns at speed can be skids that feel like it might flip if you hit a wave. I guess I'm getting older because I almost wish it had a 50hp motor...

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

I have a 96 Astro 17ft. with a force 120hp you could look at to get an idea of what you might want. I?m in mid Ga. Just give me a private message if interested.