used 90 Maxum purchase help

Peter O

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am still looking at used boats. Does anyone have experience with or an opinion on a 1990 17.5' Maxum open bow with 3L Mercruiser? I have heard good things about the engine (reliable, economical) but very little about Maxum. This is my first "real" boat purchase after a couple of small aluminums. I want it for ski/fish/cruise. Any idea how fast it will go. Owner says around 35 mph. All info appreciated.

Ted the Rookie

Recruit
Re: used 90 Maxum purchase help

Well, let me say this right up front-I've never owned one. A good friend recomended I stay away from Bayliner products-hes been at this for years. The Maxxum is a Bayliner product. Those four cylinder 3.0 liter motors have been around since they were Chevy two motors in the mid sixties-pretty bullet proof by most accounts. The speed seems about right, the 17 foot Maxxum isn't a heavy boat, with some tuning and a new prop, you might even pick up a few MPH. Good luck on both if thats the way you decide to go-hope its a good price!<br /> Best,<br /> Ted

pachanganut

Cadet
Re: used 90 Maxum purchase help

You guys shouldn't be so hard on Bayliners and Maxums. Boat building technology has come<br />a long way since Bayliners got a bad reputation. Still, like cars and trucks, you <br />get what you pay for. Don't expect a lower<br />priced boat to perform, hold up or resell<br />like a higher priced boat. Incidently, Maxum<br />and Bayliner are built by U.S. Marine who is owned by Brunswick who also owns Sea Ray,Baja<br />and Mercruiser