Use stereo speakers as an external speaker for my VHF?

marineweb

Recruit
Has anyone used their stereo speakers as an external speaker for their VHF Radio? My VHF radio, stereo head and 2 stereo speakers are all mounted in my overhead electronics box under my t-top on my center console boat. With my stereo speakers already there, seems crazy to have to also buy an external speaker for my VHF radio. Any advice?

alldodge

Staff member
Haven't done that but it will work. The issue is you need a switch to change from stereo to VHF. Also will need to shut down the stereo before use

sam am I

Commander
Can do a few things with wireless remote speaker/s and of course blue tooth/FM transmitters and the like BUT, that wasn't your question, soooooo......

Does your stereo deck have a "aux" input plug? Does the VHF have a "external speaker" audio out plug? If so, ya can just go to RS and get the right size (probably 3.5mm patch cord, jacks on both sides) that'll go between the two. Plug the patch cord in both and select the aux in on the deck.

If you haven't an "aux in" like I had with my old deck (8 track), and have too much time/parts, this might contain some info that might help.

I use mine like, hmmmmmm NEVER!! But, it works nice and if I need to blast the VHF over my speakers, it works quite nice.

J/K about the 8-track ;) It's a cassette!!.......lol

Last edited:

marineweb

Recruit
Sam Am I,
Thanks, I have a 3.5mm patch cable. My new Stereo head has a 3.5mm Aux-in. Now, I have to check my older VHF for an external speaker jack. Hurricane Hermine has my project on hold right now but will check it this weekend. Thanks for your expert advice.

sam am I

Commander
Np,

And just a side in that if the VHF's "speaker out" is truly a speaker level/low impedance output (can run a 4/8 ohm speaker directly) and not a "low level out" type, be advised that the "aux-in" of your stereo deck (head unit) is most likely a low/line level input. If so, you'll need to just barely turn up the VHF volume else you'll overdrive the input section of the deck.

If it's too sensitive or ya just care too, there are "high level speaker to low level" adapters (voltage dividers) out there if you want to add one. For this particular adapter, you'd have to of course add/solder a 3.5mm jack to speaker wire/VHF side and get rca to 3.5mm jack for the rca/deck jack's side.

Last edited:

marineweb

Recruit
Thanks. If it comes to that, I'll probably not do it. I'll just turn the VHF volume up. Thanks again.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Where are our manners, :welcome: marineweb to iboats. Great you decided to join us...

If you get to the point that you would like to make those connections, post a comment about how to do it with specifics of both the VHF radio and the Stereo and we can offer the best way to accomplish that. There are simple procedures to make your stereo go quiet while using the VHF radio. JMHO