Use of a Name?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
The lake that I use once had a small town called Newville. Of course now that the lake is there the town is gone since it is now underwater.<br /><br />I was thinking it would be neat to put Newville Ohio on the back of my boat. Would there be any problems with me using a towns name that doesn't exist anymore?

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Use of a Name?

Great Idea I love it. I certianly wouldn't think any one would hassle ya over it.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

So they flooded a town to make a lake?<br /><br />Did they remove all the buildings, or are they now fish habitat?<br /><br />What about the cemetary?

Bondo

Staff member

I can't feature that it Could Ever be an Issue..................<br /><br />I use the name of a Huge Meadows/Peat Bog that's now become a National Wildlife Refuge(Sunkhaze Meadows) for part of My boat name.............It makes up about 80% of the township I grew up in.....<br /><br />None of the GDanm Bleeding Heart Liberal Tree-Huggers that Threw all the locals out of OUR Swamp have Sued me Yet....................<br /><br />"Sunkhaze Maineiac"

NYMINUTE

Captain

I like it, but caution: Is there anyone who could gain from a law suit, or a tax on it. Somebody somewhere will have the wheels turning.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just check and see if there are any living relatives to anyone with that name. They might want some revenue from the use of the family name on a boat. Who knows.<br /><br />Most small towns were named after people, so check it out.

Stratosfied

Ensign

This, to me is incredulus(sp), we name our boats after all sorts of names, ex, The Queen Mary, then why should it be a town, be special??? The ramifications from this are HUGE. It blows me away to think that it would be a problem. I have seen boats in the gulf with trademarked names on them and so far as I know there has been no problems. But, there is an attorney somewhere... :rolleyes:

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Man, that name sounds jinxed to me.<br />Do you really want to name a boat after something that is at the bottom of a lake? Your boat's spirit might wish to heed a call to come home....

f_inscreenname

Commander

“I was thinking it would be neat to put Newville Ohio on the back of my boat. Would there be any problems with me using a towns name that doesn't exist anymore?”<br />No one is going to sue you for using any name on your boat (unless you plan on “making” a bunch of boats and using the name on all of them). Use the name. I think its cool. If anyone asks about it tell them where it is. I bet they will get a laugh and if you use the lake where the town was then the name couldn't be any more truer. You may even strike up a conversation with the name if someone sees it that lived in the town or had family there.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Thanks, I'm not using that name as the name for the boat. It will be used as in the home port of the boat. I have been thinking about this for the last couple of years when I was doing some historical research on it.<br /><br />There are still 4 original houses from the town. They were moved up on the hill side. During the winter months when they lower the water level, you can see some of the foundations from the buildings. It wasn't a very big town. If I remember correctly there were only about 200 people that resided there.<br /><br />Thanks again.