US Grand Prix

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander
All at F1 should be totaly ashamed at the farce that has just happend.<br /><br />200,000 people spent a lot of money on tickets for what should have been a great days racing. If it were me I would be demanding my money back.<br /><br />(edit) When I say all I mean all management, I certainly don't blame the teams for not sending thier drivers out with dangerous tyres.

Cranky18

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: US Grand Prix

It was a stupid decision by the FIA not to give a break in the rules to allow Michelin to bring replacement tires in (or add a chicane in the final turn). Apparently a lot of fans were already asking for money back and they had to call in extra security.

Andrew Leigh

Chief Petty Officer

I feel rather strongly about this.<br /><br />F1 is also about competitive advantage. Tyres are a massive part of this advantage as has been illustrated for some seasons now. One often hears of the race between the two tyre manufacturers. The rules allow for tyre manufacturers to produce knowing full well what the tracks are all like. They have all been there before and understand the conditions.<br /><br />I don't see the Bridgestone runners groaning because when cold their tyres are poorer and have less adhesion than the Michelin's for equal laps run. I don't see Bridgestone runners complaining about their lack of traction on pulloff. I don't see them complaining about the fact that their tyres a much heavier (indicating stronger construction). It's part of their package that makes them less competitive in the tyre stakes.<br /><br />The replacement Michelin tyres they have concluded would have had the same flaws and furthermore the use thereof would have contravened 5 FIA rules.<br /><br />Michelin simply missed the boat and were looking for a way out. They know the track well. They should be penalised heavily and the rules should not be changed for their lack of foresight at the US GP. Michelin are now turing their lack of judgement into a safety issue clouding the affair.<br /><br />Having said all that it was indeed a sad day for GP. There was a workaround. The Michelin shod runners knew they were not going to compete so they should have agreed to race without the prospect of obtaining points. The FIA should have agreed to the chicane and the "legal Bridgestone" runners should have been the only ones eligable for points. That way Michelin get what they want as do the FIA and the Bridgestone runners. Does not sound too complex for me. Most of all the FANS would have got what they paid for.<br /><br />The Americans have now had two poor experiences with F1. This and the fake Schumi victory the last time out.<br /><br />Cheers<br />Andrew

orca

Chief Petty Officer

As a long time devotee of F1 who got up early in the AM to watch the race (in Australia), I can only say, What a farce!!<br />I think that F1 will take a long time to recover from this, if F1 ever tries to return to the USA they will again be racing to empty stands. :( :mad:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Everyone lost from this mess.<br />Tv advertisers, promoters, concessions, food vendors, F1, track owners, fans - many of which paid thousands to be at the race.<br /><br />I'm sorry Andrew, but I think allowing points racers and non eligible for points drivers compete together would have led to disaster. <br /><br />I don't know of any top level racing series that would have allowed this mess to happen. But what exactly were they supposed to do at the last minute when Michelin started crying?<br />They had to run the race or lose all integrity, couldn't change the rules to accomodate Michelin, couldn't put non competitive paraders on the track to get in the way of teams they have a gridge against, couldn't postpone the race. Michelin tried a political powerplay, and it blew up in their faces.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A VERY regrettable situation.<br /><br />I have no wisdom about who was right and who was wrong or what politics may have been involved.<br /><br />I do know that compromise was rejected and that hundreds of thousands of F1 fans were cheated out of a race.<br /><br />It will be a looooong time before F1 regains a following in the USA.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

""will again be racing to empty stands.""<br /><br />How true.<br />The American fans were finally warming up to F1.<br /><br />Can you imagine sitting there in the stands when all this went down?<br /><br /><br />NASCAR is so much easier for the fans. Just root for the driver with your favorite sponsor and enjoy the day at the track. Or as my girlfriend says, the driver with the cutest butt and the sharpest looking t-shirts.

PW2

Commander

They had a great race last weekend in Montreal.<br /><br />Like JB, I have no idea of the politics involved, or who precisely was at fault.<br /><br />But is is not the first time they raced at Indy, and they had to have FIA approval on the course ahead of time. IMO, I cannot imagine the reason why Michelin was not ready with a suitable, and safe tire. They should bear at least some financial responsibility for that fiasco.

davemaxi1970

Petty Officer 1st Class

It was fathers day ,as the dad I got pick of the TV (no cartoons today-or so I thougnt )As I sat with my cool beer to watch my favourite sport(except fishing and boating of course!!) I sat slack jawed as events unfolded on the TV ,how the hell did they get themselves in this mess? they all forgot the most important thing in sport THE FANS! They left 120000 people in the dark about events I felt gutted but not as gutted as those fans who spent 100s and 1000s of $ on tickets ,gas,food and hotels F1 hold your head in shame and Bernie get this mess sorted!

orca

Chief Petty Officer

G,Day<br />F1 needs a shake up from the top down.<br />There are three things you can do in a crisis, the right thing, the wrong thing or nothing. Bernie Ecclestone did nothing and therefore millions of fans worldwide were disapointed, not to mention the thousands of fans that paid $$$$ to get to the track and watch 6 cars parade around.<br />I think it was Truman who said "The buck stops here" well Bernie has got the bucks, now he has to go.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Exactly my sentiments, Whaley.

BassMan283

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, I was there and it was wierd. I've been to every USGP except last year when I had my gall bladder out the Monday before the race and couldn't get in racing trim in time.<br /><br />My buddy and I were blissfully unaware of developments until Sunday morning. We camp across the street from the track in a yard and spent Saturday night getting properly lubed and NOT watching TV. Some friends came in Sunday to park there and filled us in on some of the drama, but nobody really knew what was going to happen including FIA, apparently.<br /><br />At the track, a guy behind us (Canadian) was on his cell phone getting information that there wasn't going to be a race. When all the cars pulled out for the formation lap, we thought maybe things had been resolved and we were going to get a race. When the Michelin cars pulled in at the end of the formation lap, we thought maybe they were going to change tires and start from the pit. Then we saw on the screens that they were pulling into the garages. Stunned silence was followed by booing, whistling (lot of foreigners there), cursing and throwing of water bottles and beer cans.<br /><br />We decided to stay for the "race", nowhere else to go. After the race, the lady whose yard we were camped in said she was sitting outside her house, heard the cars take off then about 5 or 10 minutes later saw all kinds of people coming out of the stands. Next thing a bunch of Speedway (City of) police in riot gear came by and told her and her daughters to get in the house and stay there. Nothing major happened although a bunch of people tried to storm the ticket office at 16th and Georgetown. Obviously the police ahd sheriff's office were expecting trouble and were well prepared.<br /><br />OK, now the positive stuff.<br /><br />1) My buddy and I have gone to every Indy 500 since 1978 and every USGP except for me last year. This was the first entirely rain-free race weekend in at least 25 years. We really can't remember for sure.<br /><br />2) Once the "race" was under way and the people who were really pissed left, we were visiting with some of the folks sitting around us and talked with people from England, Colombia, India, Portugal and a few Canadians. The English guys were the hardest to understand. We all decided to just enjoy being at the track with cars going around it, even if there were only 6 of them. A couple of the Indian guys (all wearing Ferrari shirts, btw) started blowing their air horns every time Karthikeyan came by. Can't beat fun at the ol' race track.<br /><br />3) Did I mention the weather?<br /><br />I love racing, especially F1, and I'll be there next year if the cars show. Just hope they get some of their politics out of the way by then.