URGENT: '84 Evindrude 90 HP V4 gas leak right at the pump!

WardenJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey everyone, i was getting my boat ready for the weekend and while running it in the driveway I noticed quite the fuel leak, right where the fuel line goes into the pump. The line goes into a fitting that looks to be part of some kind of cap. This cap is completely broken off from the rest of the pump, and the leak is coming right from where the cap sits on the pump. The break is so clean that it almost appears like this cap is allowed to come off and only requires some kind of sealant. The cap will press back on to the pump and stay put, but fuel just leaks out from under it. Is this cap supposed to be removable or am I stuck replacing the entire fuel pump? Any quick fixes to get me going this weekend? I need the boat as a runabaout/shore launch for another boat, only to make quick 5-10 minute runs into town and back. Thanks for any help.<br /><br />
leak1.jpg
<br /><br />
leak2.jpg

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: URGENT: '84 Evindrude 90 HP V4 gas leak right at the pump!

Nope. That's one piece, or should be. Looking at the exploded view of that pump, it's not a separate part, either, from the pump. You might be able to come up with something that clamped onto the remaining tubing from the pump, with a barbed elbow fitting, to connect to the hose. <br /><br />Not too much clamp pressure, though, or you might well fracture that tube coming from the pump.

Brew2

Chief Petty Officer

I know on the newer VROs, you can buy the plastic elbow fitting that comes out of the top of the VRO pump from any dealer (I broke mine installing it!), but I'm not sure on the older models if this is possible.<br /><br />Do you have a dealer nearby that you could check with?<br /><br />As a temporary fit to get you through the weekend, maybe you could "glue" it back in place with some sort of adhesive that is resistant to gas. Don't know enough about adhesives to recommend one, but I assume one must exist.<br /><br />Good luck!

Brew2

Chief Petty Officer

I gotta learn to type faster!!

gmcjohnny

Cadet

is that fitting black or brown if its black it should get a new pump because the brown is compatable with todays fuels an the newer pump should have the swivel elbow on top

gmcjohnny

Cadet

an there is no glueing that piece back on an being safe

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Looks like there might be enough left... of the broken off part to find a new elbow at the hardware store...and some hose and clamp her together.... but I'd use a pretty good clamp since this is fuel were talking about.<br /><br />Don't know if I can say this or not... but if you don't think that will work pick up some JB weld the quick stuff cures in about 4 hours. Use the stuff myself and love it, of course I have yet to use it on my outbaord but it fixed a fitting like that on a radiator and plugged a hole in auto's gas tank. Just make sure you get it nice and sealed