Upper shift shaft seal in the bell housing question

kkalsch

Seaman
alpha 1 Gen II ....I am replacing the upper shift shaft seal and bushing and have a question on what direction should the seals be installed -currently the bottom seal is facing down with the face down toward the prop and the spring side facing up towards the bellows. Now back years ago the side of the spring was the side that was holding the liquid in or out..example -I replaced the seals on an old Jonson outboard and the seals went back to back -the spring faced in to hold the oil in and the outer seal spring side faced out to hold the water out - Have seals changed? I would think you would want the spring side of this seal facing down towards the prop to hold the water out
I hope I explained this clearly

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: Upper shift shaft seal in the bell housing question

Both seals should face down. There will be water in the exhaust chamber below, and it should be dry above where the shift shaft lever is. You are right, as I understand it the garter spring should face the liquid that you are trying to keep out. Better check with a Merc dealer.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Hmmm...not clear to me yet, but I am still learning these drives. I would hope the service manual would show it clearly. My look at the exploded parts diagram for the genII (gear housing-drive shaft) shows one bushing and one seal. Hope I am looking at the right diagram! My mental model tells me the seal is positioned to keep the oil in the drive... isn't this what gets pressure tested? Interested to hear what the grey-beards say!

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Hmmm...not clear to me yet, but I am still learning these drives. I would hope the service manual would show it clearly. My look at the exploded parts diagram for the genII (gear housing-drive shaft) shows one bushing and one seal. Hope I am looking at the right diagram! My mental model tells me the seal is positioned to keep the oil in the drive... isn't this what gets pressure tested? Interested to hear what the grey-beards say!

You are looking at the wrong seal. The OP is talking about the bushing and seal on the upper shift shaft in the bellhousing. #6 here: http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...426.png&inbr=2686&bnbr=100&bdesc=BELL+HOUSING

kkalsch

Seaman

You are looking at the wrong seal. The OP is talking about the bushing and seal on the upper shift shaft in the bellhousing. #6 here: http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...426.png&inbr=2686&bnbr=100&bdesc=BELL+HOUSING

That is correct #6..... I removed both seals today and the seals where facing with the springs facing towards the bellows -I personal think that's wrong-I have service manual #14 and there is no info?...... Well like the signature on one of the forum member says: (just because you found it that way does not make it right) Does anyone have any knowledge on this subject??

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Oh...yeah! THAT seal! Told you...still learning! Thanks. The part in the original post about "holding the oil in" threw me.

Pete104

Lieutenant

Manual #14, section 4B, page 36-39 spell it out pretty clearly.

Again, serial numbers matter!

kkalsch

Seaman

Manual #14, section 4B, page 36-39 spell it out pretty clearly.

Again, serial numbers matter!

Thanks Pete....I have read that section and have the later model -however my manual does not specify what direction the seals go in....says: install seals?? I guess I will put them back the way I found it........

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I would think you would want the spring side of this seal facing down towards the prop to hold the water out

I don't know if that would be wise. I believe that you were correct in the original post. Convention says the garter springs should face down to keep water from coming up the shaft.

kkalsch

Seaman

I don't know if that would be wise.

I know it......but I can not get a straight answer from anyone -I called the local Mercrusier Dealer and he said put them back the way they came out! -that's a lot of help.....LOL he does not know and he is certified:(

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

attachment.php

Attachments

• bushing install.jpg
    bushing install.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 33

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

So much for conventional wisdom. Glad you got the correct answer.

Pete104

Lieutenant

Don? What page was that on?