Upper motor mounts 1994 J15. Worth repairing?

masonboro

Seaman
I have a 1994 J15 that I absolutely love and it runs like a bear everyday as I am a cruising sailor.
Both of my upper motor mounts are broken completely.

I am aware that I have to remove the powerhead to get inside the exhaust.

There are parts that to my knowlege are "obsolete".

Can anyone confirm?
And, is it really difficult to do?

Thanks

bigrockets

Seaman
Re: Upper motor mounts 1994 J15. Worth repairing?

Considering the cost of a replacement motor it's certainly worth attempting to fix. Search the forum for a list of parts suppliers. You may be able to find new old stock parts available. Ebay is another place to look. There is a thread where someone posted a big list of parts dealers. Maybe one of the senior members can find it quickly and put it in this thread.

masonboro

Seaman

I have researched the parts but keep coming up with one of the parts listed as "obsolete".
Could this be possible for a 1994?

kbait

Commander

I'd call Tim's outboard 218-682-2331. They can look up the part numbers and if they're indeed obsolete, may have used.
I've done that job on my '75 15hp, and it's indeed a powerhead pull, but it was straightforward enough.. linkages, mounts, and several bolts from bottom, plus $130 for the new mounts, but I like my motor. My buddy put a ratchet strap under there to hold his 15hp secure (broken upper mounts), and it worked really well too.. Sometimes mcguyvering is good in a pinch..

masonboro

Seaman

I'd call Tim's outboard 218-682-2331. They can look up the part numbers and if they're indeed obsolete, may have used.
I've done that job on my '75 15hp, and it's indeed a powerhead pull, but it was straightforward enough.. linkages, mounts, and several bolts from bottom, plus $130 for the new mounts, but I like my motor. My buddy put a ratchet strap under there to hold his 15hp secure (broken upper mounts), and it worked really well too.. Sometimes mcguyvering is good in a pinch..

Funny you should say that!

I have been using a ratchet strap for about 9 months.
I have to change it about every 6 weeks (only a 2 foot section of strap).
The motor is so amazing, it had been a 1 puller for 17 months, I use it every day as I live out on the hook about 1.5 miles off shore. And, in fact, my wife and I and the dog did a 225 mile trek on it on the intracoastal in very bumpy water over a year ago.
This is why I am so anal about replacing the mounts as it runs so great, I bet I have great compression.

Would you suggest me replacing rings while so deep into the motor?

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

You wouldnt just do a re-ring on an outboard.You would need to totally dissamble the engine ,have a machinist bore the cylinder to next oversize ,to get the bore round.If you put new rings in that worn cylinder ,you would hurt the motor.You would be puting round rings in a hole thats outa round.I do find it hard to believe the mounts are unattainable,but follow the advice given.If your really interested in rebuilding ,you might do it right.Wont hurt the pocket neely as hard as a new engine.If the motor is in that great a shape do it.On more point.I hope you change your impeller yearly on that engine.Those 9.9 to 15 hp tend to have impellers that delaminate from the core.It being the LIFE SAVER for a sailor,you need to give it those needed parts.If run in salt ,rinse.ANOTHER IMPORTANT point,those engines are notorious for the top grommet on the water tube for collapsing and shutting off water ,its a 2 dollar part ,change it when you pull the powerhead ,you will b glad u did.

masonboro

Seaman

thanks,
that was some well appreciated advice.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You could also look under the Stickey file at the top of this forum for salvage yards.

kbait

Commander

I wouldn't do any internal work, except a good decarb annually. Sounds like a great runner already. If you can't find mounts, just have a few 2' sections of strap handy! :)

masonboro

Seaman

Hey everyone,
I am well into my motor mount change, it's all going very well.
I am fortunate enough that my mounts are in great shape, it is my 2 stainless bolts that broke at the threads where they screw into the steering bracket.

I am considering tapping for a 5/16 bolt but have no clue how to get the broken pieces of stainless out of the steering bracket. My drills won't dent them.

Any ideas?

G DANE

Commander

If they are broken flush or above surface, get someone to tig weld a little material and a nut to them, they usually just turns out, then, the corrosion broken down by the heat, I do that all the time. Found it the best way of all, no damage to anything.

masonboro

Seaman

If they are broken flush or above surface, get someone to tig weld a little material and a nut to them, they usually just turns out, then, the corrosion broken down by the heat, I do that all the time. Found it the best way of all, no damage to anything.

they are broken at about 1/4 inch inside the steering bracket.

masonboro

Seaman

Could Heli Coils inserts (stainless) work inside the steering bracket?
Are they strong enough for everyday use of my 15hp loaded with passenger and gear?
I mean, this is an "engine" mount.

A new steering bracket costs $146.

kbait

Commander

I can't imagine that you could drill a small hole for an easy-out in the broken stainless bolt, but if you could, it'd probably turn out pretty easily. I'm sure access to it is a problem. Maybe a new steering bracket would be worth the $$, but once disassembled, you may have better access to try to remove them from the current one..

masonboro

Seaman

I can't imagine that you could drill a small hole for an easy-out in the broken stainless bolt, but if you could, it'd probably turn out pretty easily. I'm sure access to it is a problem. Maybe a new steering bracket would be worth the $$, but once disassembled, you may have better access to try to remove them from the current one..

it is disassembled.

i can look 1/4 inch into the steering bracket, the stainless bolts mashed the broken ends so hard that they look as though they are now welded to the bracket inside there.

btw,
how do the rubber mounts hold inside the mount assy?
do they expand inside when the bolt tightens through them?

kbait

Commander

Looks like a new bracket is the way to go then..

As I recall, the thrust mount 'smashes' to take the forward movement of the lower, and 2 lower mounts get squished to take the backward movement (like hitting reverse, or a stump). They're all basically sitting there waiting to be compressed to take the shocks, and don't need to be pre-loaded or anything.. hope this helps.

masonboro

Seaman

Looks like a new bracket is the way to go then..

As I recall, the thrust mount 'smashes' to take the forward movement of the lower, and 2 lower mounts get squished to take the backward movement (like hitting reverse, or a stump). They're all basically sitting there waiting to be compressed to take the shocks, and don't need to be pre-loaded or anything.. hope this helps.

You help has been greatly appreciated.

I wasn't sure how the thrust mounts work.
They must expand inside the motor mount assembly when the bolts are tightened through to the steering bracket.

masonboro

Seaman

You wouldnt just do a re-ring on an outboard.You would need to totally dissamble the engine ,have a machinist bore the cylinder to next oversize ,to get the bore round.If you put new rings in that worn cylinder ,you would hurt the motor.You would be puting round rings in a hole thats outa round.I do find it hard to believe the mounts are unattainable,but follow the advice given.If your really interested in rebuilding ,you might do it right.Wont hurt the pocket neely as hard as a new engine.If the motor is in that great a shape do it.On more point.I hope you change your impeller yearly on that engine.Those 9.9 to 15 hp tend to have impellers that delaminate from the core.It being the LIFE SAVER for a sailor,you need to give it those needed parts.If run in salt ,rinse.ANOTHER IMPORTANT point,those engines are notorious for the top grommet on the water tube for collapsing and shutting off water ,its a 2 dollar part ,change it when you pull the powerhead ,you will b glad u did.

man....you sure were right.
my top grommet was half collapsed and i can see where the salt water is trying to break down the metal under the impeller base plate.

thanks