Upper Input Shaft Seal

hadvisor

Seaman Apprentice
I was told my upper input shaft seal is leaking on my gen 2 alpha.
Would somebody be able to show me a drive breakdown or give me the part number so I can look in the manual to further educate myself?

Thanks

hadvisor

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Upper Input Shaft Seal

Thanks for the good links. Stony - that's kinda what I was looking for/another opinion on what seal I should be looking at. I removed both my legs and then had them pressure tested - I had to top off the resevoir once this summer. Anybody have a link to the thread with all the cool home made pressure testers? I looked for awhile but couldn't find it...

I was going to change both impellers this winter but realized I have never really messed with the upper half. How difficult is the job of removing the U joint and going after that seal? Knowing I'm above average mechanically but not working on these things everyday - should I leave it to the pros and save myself the headache?

Thanks again

hadvisor

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Upper Input Shaft Seal

Ya, twins...I've replaced bellows/impellers on two of my boats, but never had to tear anything totally apart. I've got a keen inner voice that tells me when to stop or else it will cost twice as much to fix. I've seen it a million times and don't feel like tossing money into the pit if I don't have to.

Thats all I'm asking. Not trying to sound cocky or like I know everything - because I don't. I have a manual and follow it, but some things just look too complicated for the do it yourselfer...