upper crank bearing... no sealer?

ct1762@gmail.com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
So after putting toghether a 1985 70hp (49 cube block), i realized i had a brain-fart and did NOT put sealer around the upper crank bearing head and it's 0-ring. I was going off an old 1979 service manual, and it didn't mention it. Then , when i got back to my shop, was looking through the 1989 56 cube block rebuild section, and they said to use gasket sealer around it. The bearing and seal and 0-ring is brand new. Am i asking for a leak here? does the whole thing need to come apart, or can i try to sneak some sealer around it as is? it seems extremely well-sealed as it sits, and when it gets warm i imagine that 0-ring will swell some and still seal it. or am i compeletely screwed? those old service manuals are extremely vague and not very detailed. of course they went to the trouble of telling you to use sealer on head gaskets. great.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Run it the way it is and just keep an eye on it. It should be okay.

ct1762@gmail.com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
awesome thanks! i actually have seen many guys in my recent research forget this step. some of the later manuals just say to use grease around the o-ring.