Upper Bellow on Mercruiser 260

cvsa78

Cadet
Does anybody have any advise on how to replace the upper bellows on 260 mercruiser? Do you have to remove the elbows? or can I just slide off?

NHGuy

Captain
Re: Upper Bellow on Mercruiser 260

You have to pull the drive, so plan to do a universal joint service while the drive is off. If your drive hasn't been off for a long time you may end up changing the shift boot too, and possibly the shift cable. Removing the drive requires a special tool for the pivots.
You can get the info for your drive in the adults only sticky post.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I'm assuming you are talking about the hoses that attach the exhaust elbow to the riser and Y pipe, and not the ujoint bellows that I think NHGuy is referring to.

IF that is the case, normally you can remove remove all the clamps. Push the lower hose down onto the Y pipe, then slide the elbow and upper hose off the riser. If things don't work out, just remove the riser and install a new gasket. Depending on the year of your "260 Mercuriser", you might also check the exhust shutters in the top of the Y pipe while you are in there. If your model has them there.

cvsa78

Cadet

Thats right, I was talking about the upper connection, between the elbow and the Y pipe.

Pushing down the pipe seems simple enough. I guess it depends on how tight the connection is. Is there an issue with the exhaust shutter?
My Mercruiser is a 1986, should I be looking for something?

Thx
Mike

I'm assuming you are talking about the hoses that attach the exhaust elbow to the riser and Y pipe, and not the ujoint bellows that I think NHGuy is referring to.

IF that is the case, normally you can remove remove all the clamps. Push the lower hose down onto the Y pipe, then slide the elbow and upper hose off the riser. If things don't work out, just remove the riser and install a new gasket. Depending on the year of your "260 Mercuriser", you might also check the exhust shutters in the top of the Y pipe while you are in there. If your model has them there.