upgrading to 2 -115 hp from 1-225.

Lloydramdeen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 24' proline w/a with a 225 yamaha (2 stroke)on single bracket. I would like to upgrade to 2-115s. That means I will have to replace the bracket as well. How will the additional weight affect the whole configuration of the boat ? The weight of one of these 115s are nearly the same as the 225 that the manufacters made it with. What of the fuel consumption ? Should I install a kicker instead ?<br /> I would like to hear from the experts before I go messing up.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: upgrading to 2 -115 hp from 1-225.

What sort of 115s are you considering, Wahoo? Two stroke, 4 stroke, Yamaha or other?<br /><br />You will suffer a loss of hole shot and performance with the twins vs. a single, but will gain in security.<br /><br />If you are talking about F115 Yamaha 4 strokes the added 400+ pounds will certainly have some effect on the trim at rest but I doubt that it would trouble your 24' Proline.<br /><br />In your case I would consider a F225 4 stroke and a 4 stroke kicker of about 25hp an alternate package.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer

wahoo51 wrote: <br /> I have a 24' proline w/a <br /><br />Is it similar to Proline 24' "Bay" that can bee seen on Proline website?<br /><br /> with a 225 yamaha (2 stroke)on single bracket.<br /><br />What year and what weight for the 225 hp Yamaha? What is Your normal cruise speed/RPM and fuel consumption then? Top speed/RPM and fuel consumption? <br /><br /> I would like to upgrade to 2-115s. <br /><br />As an earlier poster mentioned - is it 2- or 4-stoke outboards You intend to use? If You are thinking of Yamaha F115 4-stroke, I have ONE of this outboard and it is fine and proven outboard. In same weight class is for example Suzuki DF115 and DF140 (even lighter that DF115). Two Suzuki DF140 would be possible I guess, if Your boat can handle 280 hp total. DF 140 is not that much more expensive than for example Yamaha F115.<br /><br /> That means I will have to replace the bracket as well. <br /><br />Was Your boat equipped from factory with the bracket or did You mount it later?<br /><br /> How will the additional weight affect the whole configuration of the boat ? <br /><br />- Maybe a little "tail-heavy" when boat is at rest.<br />- Maybe little harder to get up on plane.<br />- Maybe little difficult to stear straight at low speed (many boats behave like that when more weight is added rear in the boat, my boat for example).<br />- More stress on stern. Is this boat certified for the weight of two 115 hp outboards? For example two F115 (2 x 400 lbs=) 800 lbs?<br /><br /> The weight of one of these 115s are nearly the same as the 225 that the manufacters made it with. <br /><br />You probably also need to check with your boat insurance company if they will insure Your boat with twin 115 hp considering the added weight on stern.<br /><br /> What of the fuel consumption ? <br /><br />What is your present fuel consumption (liter/nautical mile or similar) at cruise and max RPM?<br /><br />For a singel Yamaha F115 4-stroke you can read on Internet, on Yamaha US website, for diffrent boats. For twin F115 - I do not know. You can also read about Yamaha F225 fuel consumption with various boats on Yamaha US website if you are interested.<br /><br /> Should I install a kicker instead ? <br /><br />I guess it depends how You use Your boat and what YOUR main purpose of two 115 hp outboards.<br />Main purpose could be security, if one of the outboards fail you hopefully can get home on the other outboard. You could perhaps have almost same sequrity with a singel 200-225 hp (2- or 4-stroke) and an extra smaller outboard like 25 hp or similar (2- or 4-stroke). There is equipement so you can have the smaller outboard be steared from main outboard steering (like EZ Steer).<br />Others may also think it is "cool" to have two 115 hp outboards and I see nothing wrong with that.<br /><br />Cost: I do not know if a new singel 225 Hp (for example Yamaha F225) and for exampel a new Yamaha F25 4-stroke will be cheaper both to buy and to service than for example two Yamaha F115.<br /><br /> I would like to hear from the experts before I go messing up. <br /><br />I'm no expert but I hope I helped some. I have myself a singel Yamaha F115 4-stroke (on a 19 ft bowrider boat) that I'm happy with.

Lloydramdeen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks JB and Bo.<br />You guys have raised some helpful points. The existing 225hp is a yamaha 2 stroke. It came factory from Proline.It is a 1994 model and works like new."as we say-no problem, mon".. I was comtemplating buying of 2- 115 yamaha 2 stroke. I dont think we have anyone here who can service the new 4 stroke models.That's my reason for wanting to hang on the the old 2 stroke.<br />I use the boat once a week for a days fishing and was thinking of the two outboards for security reason . After careful consideration, it might be best to hang on to the original set up and install a kicker. Perhaps a 20-25 will do . My fishing trips are only about 20 miles anyway. More economical as the cost of extended bracket is another cost factor.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

wahoo - I have a 1988 23' Wellcraft CC with a pair of OMV 1.6 L V4s that I have had for 10 years. This is an ideal boat for us and have owned it for 10 years. I have come home (or gone out) more than once on one engine. Knowing that there are two spinning props in the water is a big comfort. My rig will not get up on a plane on one motor so you need to check that out if it is important for you.<br /><br />If you have a good running V6 mon, I would think your best option would be to keep that and add a 25 hp. If you do that you will probably want to get a 2 cylcle so that you can use the same fuel. But if cost is not an issue go for the twins.<br /><br />Howard<br />Miami, Fl

Lloydramdeen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So little,<br /><br />Thanks, I agree that this is the more economical way to go..I see you are from Miami. Where there can I get a good 25 hp 2 stroke Yamaha at a reasonable price ? <br /><br />Regards<br />wahoo

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

wahoo - I won't be of much help I'm afraid as I have never bought new & never owned a Yammy. I did go to a Yammy dealer to get a price on a 200 last summer and they appeared to be pros & only dealt with Yammies. I forget the name of the place but if you look in the Yellow pages they are off of SW 87th ave around 128th st.