Upgrading, or downgrading?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi. I was very familiar with an identical regal and engine. At her very best and after a few props, she would do around 52/53 mph running very light. The main issue was that even with an all rounder prop that would be a little less on top speed and hitting the limiter…try sitting anyone in the back seats and having any more than half a tank of fuel…she was just stagnant for acceleration. Terrible even. That 4.3 mpi really lacked low down grunt for sure. Powerful up top end. But honestly never known a set up that could hit the limiter so easy with a prop…but also be so lazy out the hole.
Nice boat though. But if you plan to have a few onboard, you’ll have to pitch the prop low and suffer on efficiency and top end…and be hitting the limiter at 3/4 throttle for sure. Your outboard boat currently will certainly have more guts low down for sure.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If you're going to upgrade then do it right. You need to be looking at a 22' or larger boat with a 350 Mag. I wouldn't go less than that for that many people.
We have similar use pattern: our family of 5 with usually another family of 3 to 5. I started with a 20' boat, 210 HP V8. It was okay but kind of cramped and barely had enough power.
I upgraded to a 23' boat the a 300 HP V8. It dose much better but is still a bit tight with a full load of people. I wouldn't have minded having a 24' or 25' boat and I had wanted a big block but just couldn't find one I could afford at the time.