Update

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer
We went out last week and I hit a rock pile in shallow water that did some minor damage to the prop. The week before we drove to mid-east TN and I got a top for the 19 from a fellow that restores old outboards.

He was a really nice guy and had some incredible vintage outboards in his barn. It is something like oldoutboardbarn.com or something similar. Cool stuff there.

The top is blue and the boat is brown. So, we are tring to decide what color to paint the top. Right now, the off-white color of the deck is in the lead. I will be making some new seat boards for her this weekend. I got some 3/4" treated plywood the other day and have been letting it sit and dry out before I start working it.

We have really been enjoying the boat and took the kids out tubing a few weeks ago. Good power and planed easily with two 17 yr old boys on the tube. An older couple staying at one of the waterfront hotels was videoing us from their balcony. They were sitting out there having coffee when we rounded the cove and she immediately jumped up pointing and grabbed the camera. I circled a couple of extra times with the setting sun at my back so she get get some good footage. It was fun.

I am having a starting problem. It has become hard to start and I think it is sucking air into the fuel lines. I'll look into that this weekend also.

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Update

I am having a starting problem. It has become hard to start and I think it is sucking air into the fuel lines.
did you see this sticky from the top of the i/o fourm...http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=288430 check out #3 maybe?

way to go getting her out. and way cool ya got yerself a top. so what color was your top originally? scott might know if ya gave him a call. maybe that'd have a bearing on what color you paint it, i don't know...

2 pics from last weekend for me at the lake...

IMG_4459.jpg

IMG_4460.jpg

not much to look at, but it was a calm realaxing day at the lake last weekend... i'm trying to decide if i should go out now... or wait till tommorow, or do both... :D

bummer about your prop. might be a good chance to play with props maybe. were you getting your wot spec. i'm spinning a 19P aluminum black max type prop... works perfect for me... wot 4300-4400... jumps out of the water too from stand still. from stand still to hammer all the way down. i'm on plane in, said at a moderate speed, one thousand one, one thousand 2 and i'm on plane. trim all the way in...

sounds like your doing great with your boat man. great to see others that are hip too... :cool:

you got pics???? nineteen pics please... ;)

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

Rained off and on all weekend and I was only able to get one seat done with Mothers Day activities and all.

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

More rain and lots of grass to cut this weekend. I did get almost all of one lounger seat redone. I still have one base to recover. I'm using 3/4" treated plywood and fiberglassing stress areas in addition to drilling drain holes throughout the bottoms.

I might enjoy doing this upholstery stuff. Now, I just need to learn to sew. I wonder if my wife would get bent if I started using her machine for this heavy vinyl.

ziggy

Admiral

I wonder if my wife would get bent if I started using her machine for this heavy vinyl.
don't know about your, but my gf sure would i think.

so are you recovering the whole lounge seat? or just parts of it. what vinyl are you using? did you find anything that matches what the oem used? where are you getting the material at? i know scott ain't got no more lime green for me and i've not found anything close on the www. same thing for my carpet. nothing even close in color that i have been able to find.. sounds like your gonna have a new boat when your done. sweet...

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

My vinyl skins are still good. The backer boards were gone. I carefully uncovered the old ones and put new ones in. I don't think my vinyl is original because the AritoCraft logo isn't in them. They are a nice two tone brown with the lighter color on the outer and the darker inner color has a grid pattern ironed into it. It all matches the carpet pretty well.

Whoever redid the carpet did a good job of it. It is a tricolor brown with almost an astro-turf like texture and all of the edges are bound in matching vinyl. It looks like area rugs carefully placed around the cockpit. Also, I think it has been refoamed some time in the past because the plugs over the fill holes were left open under the carpet. The guy I got it from told me he thought they were some kind of drains and had always been that way.

Scott should really consider reintroducing the 19 to the market. A few modern touches and she could be a really nice tender or retro classic. I would probably repower it with a Bluetec type diesel though. A Mercedes engine wouldn't hurt it a bit. I can imagine her in Maybach trim.

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

I meant to mention that I noticed your shot off the stern of Lime Time and that that has to be my favorite view from a 19. We were cruising just at sunset and I turned her away from the sun and then looked back. It seemed as though she was laying down a golden wake that stretched all the way back to sunset.

ziggy

Admiral

The backer boards were gone
i can believe that. i'm being real careful with my seats when i tilt them up to turn them into the lounge or to get something i store under neath them. the hinge on mine port side rear has pulled the hinge loose. the wood is starting to go on mine too. i found enough to get the hinge screws to take, but it wouldn't take much to pull them out again i'd guess. that was why i was wondering.
sounds like the po did respectable with the repair. that's cool. least ya don't have to buy anything but the wood. reasonable priced repair i'd guess. except for the labor of course.
I think it has been refoamed some time in the past because the plugs over the fill holes were left open under the carpet
cool, that's already been done for ya too. man the po did ya right it sounds like. sweet... i always feel i sit a little low in back and wonder if i got water. but then i change my mind when i can do 2-3 seconds to plane then right up to 42mph @ wot.
Scott should really consider reintroducing the 19 to the market.
i'll second that!!
you reading scott? no boat builders of today make anything like the nineteen. bill it as the "most versatile boat on the market. does everything well"... for engine and drive though, imho, i'd think go with whats the most common package of today. that way in 40 years, someone else will have a hope of restore... ;)

I meant to mention that I noticed your shot off the stern of Lime Time and that that has to be my favorite view from a 19.
that pic did come out real good. must say my buddy who took it was breathing right down my back though... just a shade close at that speed i thought... whatever, the pic came out great i think too..

We were cruising just at sunset and I turned her away from the sun and then looked back. It seemed as though she was laying down a golden wake that stretched all the way back to sunset.
i hear ya, the nineteen puts out a very nice wake, i tried to find a pic but aint yet, know i got one. i post one if i find it...

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

I think mine is losing her prime because there may be a problem with the check vavle in the fuel pump. I'll rebuild that when I get to it. Right now, she is a little hard to start after sitting for awhile.

My wife and I are beginning to start talking about superlooping. If we do it, we will most likely try the stretch from Kentucky lake to Mobile Bay first. Do you know anyone on here that is into it?

ziggy

Admiral

ah, now i see what it is. saw it in your other thread... looks like a blast... wish i was over your way and had lots of money. that looks like lots of fun.
best i've ever done was only 101 or 2 miles one way. omaha to souix city... it was lots of fun for sure..

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

Finally, a break in the rain. I'm going to pull the cover off this afternoon and see if we can't get her wet tonight.

ziggy

Admiral

so'd ya get her wet db? how'd it go? i got my first camp trip under my belt last weekend. had a good time all though it was windy both days. at night it calmed down real nice though...

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

We got her out and just tooled around a bit. Saw a guy there with a 66 Larson something. It was an all original garage find and really looked sweet. It even still had the original bimini top that folded forward against the windscreen.

I added a couple of flush deck rod holders (one each side) and one triple (rocket launcher style) to the dog house.

ziggy

Admiral

sounds like ya had a good time man. cool.
i'm not a fisherman, but had thought these nineteens would make good fishing platforms. do they work well for your fishing experience?
had me a buddy that went down to hawaii or someplace. said while he was there he spotted a yellow nineteen with seats mounted to the hardtop. bet that'd work good. myself, i don't want to test the strength of my hardtop as its obsolete. but seemed like a good idea.
saw my 1st nineteen here locally last year too. it was converted to a fishing boat too. had a pedestal seat mounted to the bow along with his fish finder, anchor and trolling motor. man, he seemed like he was set real nice for doing his fishing thing... glad all went well for yer trip. i'm trying to decide what to do for my next trip. so far it's camping again sat. night. but me and the gf are getting tired of the same spot. i'm gonna have to think of something new to do. i told the gf the rivers (missouri) the ticket. man, i can always get into trouble there.... ;) river boating sure aint lake boating, that's for sure..

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

I'll probably go ahead and throw in a new set of plugs tonight and it looks as though this is going to be a nice weekend to go play. I have to fix the ac controller in the conv/camp van before we can do any overnighting.

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

We got out for about ten hours yesterday and you can see the sun on me! I no longer look like a glow worm.

Anyway, she ran well with the new plugs and we had a good time. ran her easy for a few miles and settled into a creek outlet on the far side of the lake. I dropped a mushroom anchor to act as a drogue while we drifted. We tossed out a few lines and let her drift for a mile or so before firing up and running to the restaurant for lunch.

After lunch, we rolled out for a cruise (about an hour) and beached her a the swimming area before loading out. Everything went well and we had no problems worth mentioning.

I had my doubts about the hard top when we first got it. No more. I stuffed a raft into the side window (for tint) and stretched out on one of the loungers for a nap while the wife fished out of the back. I stayed nice and cool the whole time and was loving life there in the shade.

ziggy

Admiral

We got out for about ten hours yesterday and you can see the sun on me!
hooray! me too. i've been out maybe 10 times now. and i too am starting to get a tan. unlike my gf who keeps saying, "but there ain't no sun out". humph! i got a tan, and she don't... :D. i do hope she starts catching up though. it has been cool and cloudy here a lot lately. but i seem to be finding some sun somewhere..

she ran well with the new plugs
cool. i've been doing the suggested summerization in the adults only section. so i been putting the minor tune up on to her. out of curiosity, how fast is your nineteen? i do 42mph gps @ 4300rpm. i turning an aluminum 19p black max prop. flo torqeII.

I had my doubts about the hard top when we first got it. No more. I stuffed a raft into the side window (for tint) and stretched out on one of the loungers for a nap while the wife fished out of the back. I stayed nice and cool the whole time and was loving life there in the shade.
what doubts did you have db? i guess my only doubt was as to weather it'd hold together. mine seems to rack side to side some. enough that if it's rough out i may close it just to get the support of the windshield. that helps, but even then the back still racks to a degree. so far i've had no issue wit the top breaking. or the slides. i've put a few new rivets in the slide to top and lub the track once in a while w/ triflow after cleaning it out.

ya, ain't them loungers nice. i like the starboard one, it's slightly wider than the port one. as for the shade. man, ya just can't beat it. slide open for sun and/or air. slide back and forth to chase the shade more easy. take the side windows out for extra air flow. control air flow w/front vertical slideing window. man. they's great. and the best being the relief from the wind. i just can't say how many times i've gone under cover to get away from the wind. sweet...

anyways, glad ya had a good time. i only got out once last weekend. gf wouldn't go again so i took my cat. she had 3 hours of misery then after a wot run that brought her out of hiding and right up to my feet. she had a good time and sat/slept in the port fore facing seat.. she also stayed out of hiding and went around exploring the boat for the last hour. strange...

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

I haven't run her WOT yet. These boats feel alot like a Harley to me. They don't have to be fast to be cool. Besides, my wife doesn't like fast and she almost always goes along. I would guess she will top out about the same as yours. I still need to get the prop tuned.

My doubts regarding the hardtop were with regard to the height of it or lack thereof. I just wasn't sure how much ducking under I wanted to be doing for what I originally thought was going to be a hot, cramped and stifling position. Turned out I was very wrong on all counts.

ziggy

Admiral

I haven't run her WOT yet
I still need to get the prop tuned
when i got my nineteen. it had a 21p old style fan blade prop on it. even during the test drive prior to buying i knew it wasn't right. only got about 3900rpm at wot trimmed out too far. imho. so i knew i should do something about that. i didn't want to lug my engine and over work it. turned out the 19p worked very well. it was my 1st attempt at a prop too. got lucky i guess. as for my wot. i hear what ya say about the wife, girlfriend in my case, not liking to go wot. it's a ride for sure. anyways, i was having issue with black soot build up on my transom after a days use. i rebuilt the carb. and that helped a lot. but i still got a little soot. at suggestions of others here. i ended up deciding that it was a good idea to give my boat a wot run every few times out. blow the carbon out, ya know. i still get a light carbon ring on the back now a days, usually nothing on the sides. the wot run also helps convince me that i'm still in tune and running proper.
These boats feel a lot like a Harley to me. They don't have to be fast to be cool.
i hear that. most of the time, i'm at under 2800, a lot of the time sub planing too. idling around or slightly above idle. 1k range.
My doubts regarding the hardtop were with regard to the height of it or lack thereof. I just wasn't sure how much ducking under I wanted to be doing for what I originally thought was going to be a hot, cramped and stifling position.
i hear ya on the height too. i have whacked my head once or twice, but not often. but i'm used to ducking as i work out of a van with a work bench in it. so ducking is natural to me. only once or twice have i been hot inside. usually on the hottest of days and then only to hot down at my feet while at the helm. a couple times a year i can deal with. though i have thought about one of them 12v fans... not yet though..

have ya tried a overnighter on yer nineteen yet. man, it's great for two. i take two sleeping bags that fit perfect under the bow. for food we just go with crackers and cheese. we only might do 12 hrs or so at a shot for overnighting. but it sure is fun. sleep like a baby in it too. only problem we've had was no coffee in the morning. i was doing the marina thing, but my marina has the lamest coffee i've ever had. might as well be hot water. so we cured that by taking the coffee maker with us and go back to the van at the boat ramp early in the AM and make our own good coffee. (i got 110v in the van) that works real good too... i'm hoping for another overnighter this weekend, if it don't rain...
here's a few pics of us overnighting..

IMG_3754.jpg

IMG_3335.jpg

the aft cover works real good too. in this pic we got rained on pretty bad, look at the cover, it's mostly saturated with water as it's been raining on us for a while. this was the next day of boating..

IMG_3336.jpg

this is one of the spots we've frequented for an overnight trip...

IMG_3322.jpg
we also got in a jamb at this spot one night for the winds that came up from no wind to 30-40 mph overnight. blew me up on the beach so bad i had to call for help to get free. for three weeks after that incident you could see in the sand where we'd been had at.. oh well. a new lesson learned... :rolleyes: have a good one db...