UPDATE:SEAHUNT TRITON 212 FISHBOX & FOAM IN HULL

mrsnipe

Cadet
Subject: UPDATE NO 3: QA and Design on Two Installed SEAHUNT TRITON 212 Fishbox Enclosures & Foam Fill in GUNWALE<br /><br /> Ref: (a) DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION, Coast Guard, 33 CFR Parts 181 and 183<br /> (b) http://www.seahuntboats.com/about/ dtd 19 August 2003 and SEAHUNT Dealer Pamphlets<br /> (c) http://www.seahuntboats.com/about/ dtd 20 August 2003<br /> (d) Phonecall between Terry Payne/USCG Office of Boating Safety, Recreational Boating Product Assurance Division, U.S. Coast <br /> Guard, telephone (202) 267-0981 20 August 2003.<br /> (e) Phonecall between Terry Payne/Joel Moss SEA HUNT 20 August 2003 RE: Foam Triton 212 <br /> (f) http://www.fomofoam.com/ (Foam Insulation Kits by Fomo Foam Products) <br /> <br /> 1. This is a summary of references (a) through (e) and pertains to standards in SEAHUNT MODEL TRITON 212 Fishbox insulation and foam levels in gunwales. The editorial comments are mine and mine alone, but are based on my experience and expectations with my SEA HUNT boat and not a Grady-White, Mako etc.<br /> <br /> a. SEAHUNT acknowledges by Ref (e) that fishboxes are supposed to be insulated with foam except on inaccessible sides. SEAHUNT on an individual basis will provide customers whatever resolution that customer requires through dealer etc. Editorial comment: There is no 2003-2004 TRITON class recall or plan to inspect these coolers distributed already to dealers for this standard.<br /><br /> b. Per Ref (a) and (d), the Federal Boat Safety Act of 1971 (46 U.S.C. 4302) gave the Coast Guard the statutory authority to issue regulations establishing minimum safety standards for the manufacture of recreational boats and associated equipment. Subsequently, the Coast Guard issued the regulations that appear in 33 CFR Parts 181 (certification regulations) and 183 (manufacturing regulations). These regulations establish standards for the manufacture of conventional types of recreational boats-ones that contain a typical hull, transom, and passenger load carrying area. Under 33 CFR Parts 181 (certification regulations) and 183 (manufacturing regulations) Boats with Outboard Motors 20-feet or more in length are NOT REQUIRED to have either BASIC or LEVEL FLOTATION. Editorial comment: There is no need for SEA HUNT to specify USCG BASIC or LEVEL FLOTATION Code on Triton 212 since it is not regulated for foam levels). <br /><br /> c. As discussed reference (c), USCG does not inspect 20 foot boats equipped with outboard motors for foam level. Editorial comment: There is no requirement and the manufacturer sets the standard based on their factory production design and customer requirements.<br /><br /> d. Per Ref (e), SEA HUNT fills voids in and around fiberglass stringers/grid system in Triton 212 with foam for flotation and rigidity. The other voids, including gunwale are not by design filled with foam. SEA HUNT on 20 August 2003 changed the posted Ref (b) website from: "Stringers and all voids are filled with rigid high-density foam for added strength and flotation." to read as posted Ref (c): "Stringers and all open spaces are filled with rigid high-density foam for added strength and flotation." Editorial comment: Stated established wording in specifications has changed!! The change from "VOIDS" to "OPEN SPACES" is a big difference. This means to me effective 20 August 2003 the gunwales are not designed with foam nor are fish boxes (they have hand hole accesses but are not open). Prior to 20 August, 2003, I imagine SEAHUNT management will explain the specification was worded with "VOIDS" incorrectly, but that's more legal lingo than I care to explore!<br /><br />2. Considerations, Conclusions and Recommendations. I bought my TRITON 212 for a moderately priced off-shore trailerable fishing boat in Charleston area and reefs, so these comments and those of my peers may not affect your boat operations.<br /><br /> a. My TRITON 212 cooler foam level around cooler voids is not full foam nor are sides fully insulated. I am inable to use as a fishbox for 8 hours unless I provide my ice from another portable cooler, so I take portable coolers off-shore. This reduces fishing room and adds weight. I do not want to continue this practice so several SEA HUNT owners are researching foam alternatives, including adding foam using the resources in Ref (f). We can apply foam ourselves using kits on the coolers. This is preferable for me because I do not want to take time from work to deliver my boat to SEA HUNT or dealer when there is no established plan to recall. <br /><br /> b. My TRITON 212 gunwale void foam levels aft of Outrigger Holders (approx 10.5 ft from transom) and foam level forward of Outrigger Holders are not full of foam. I am concerned for off-shore fishing that these limitations will contribute to more hull flex, less noise attenuation, less shock absorption and I will start having Gel Coat problems in vicinity of center console amidships and rocket launchers. A gaggle of SEA HUNT owners are having gel coat cracks and a gaggle don't. These apparently are not structural in nature, but try to tell a prospective buyer or get the manufacturer or dealer to state this in writing. I prefer to be in the latter group for as long as possible. I do not want to continue fishing in offshore waters indefinitely with these concerns so several SEA HUNT owners are researching foam alternatives, including adding liquid foam using the resources in Ref (f). We can pour liquiid foam ourselves using the marine procedures for filling pontoons. A typical 212 will probably take at least 16 CU FT of liquid foam, but this is a wild guess only for my current boat levels. This is preferable for me because I do not want to push SEA HUNT to cover the foam when there is no established plan to fulfill what SEAHUNT advertised prior to August 20, 2003. <br /><br /> c. If your fishboxes are not insulated and your gunwales are not filled recommend you contact Joel Moss and your dealer and let them know. We are not complaining, we are holding folks accountable for what they sell and that's America. The only way we can ensure you and your peers get a better product than last year for the money is to let them know you are keeping an eye on quality and it's a competitive world out there.......I paid over $31K for my TRITON 212 with the extra electronic gear I wanted and overall I am happy with SEA HUNT, but I want my son to buy better and smarter if he buys SEA HUNT or from any other boat manufacturer.<br /><br />3. Separate issue: I found that Trim Tabs are an essential hardware addition for off-shore fishing on my SEA HUNT and I am converting to AMSOIL Injector Synthetic Oil in my 2-Cycle Yamaha 150. My dealer Seels Outboard did great job of installing trim tabs. AMSOIL on the prefered customer program ($100.00 minimum a year) is almost as cheap as a gallon of Yamaha Oil I get from dealers. I used AMSOIL for five years in my last 2-cycle boat and the gas consumption, plug maintemance, and temperatures went down. Reduced gas consumption off-shore is driving me to look for alternatives. No wonder there are a lot of charter boaters out there!<br /><br />.<br />Terry Payne<br />SPAWAR Customer Support (04C)<br />C-CUBEDCORP Charleston SC<br />tpayne@c-cubedcorp.com<br /> 843-308-6720 Office<br /> 619-459-0359 Cell<br /> 843-762-4286 Home