Update on the Minuteman project

Kenneth Brown

Captain
Civilians in Arizona volunteering to stop illegal immigration say their efforts have begun to produce some positive results.<br /><br />The initiative, known as the "Minuteman Project," was expected to draw about 1,000 volunteers. But officials with the project say about 200 will be in place Monday when patrols begin.<br /><br />Mike McGarry, a spokesman for the project, said while volunteers were surveying their patrol routes over the weekend, 18 illegals were spotted. <br /><br />McGarry said volunteers called the Border Patrol, who arrived shortly afterwards to pick them up.<br /><br />Also, he said one illegal wandered onto the campus of a Bible college where some 100 volunteers are staying, seeking food and water. Again, officials alerted Border Patrol agents who came and picked up the migrant.<br /><br />"You observe them, report them and get out of the way," McGarry said of the volunteers.<br /><br />Local law enforcement personnel say so far there has been no violations committed by Minuteman personnel. <br /><br />Civil rights and activist groups fear violence is a foregone conclusion, since some of the volunteers plan to be armed.

ob

Admiral
Re: Update on the Minuteman project

While I feel this project is a worth while venture,I also feel that it may be too little too late.

spratt

Lieutenant

Something is definitely better than nothing. I wish them Godspeed and hope they are extremely successful.

crab bait

Captain

proof that our national security is a joke..<br /><br />jose/habib the welcome mat is out.. welcome to the land of oppertunity..

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

while I applaud the initiative and I am happy that so far no violence has broken out I still worry that in the weeks and months to come it will. I pray it wont but something must be done. <br /> I will say it again, there is not a poster on this board that if unlucky enough to have been born south of an arbitrary line we stole in the first place that would not head north. regardless of a "law". its amazing how civil we try to act when the past 200 years or so have been mired in bloodshed on all sides. seems the spaniards stole it from the mexicans/indians and we stole it from them. no one asked the poor ones that lost it originally.but noiw it is what it is and needs to be secured. homeland security and the patriot acts are both jokes. one is plain silly and the other a danger. in venezuela now its a crime punishable by 6 months in jail to ridicule a government official in public. seems its a secrity issue. will happen here soon. mark my words.

D

DJ

Geez rodbolt, forever the pessimist, eh?<br /><br />Let's just surrender and give it back, OK?<br /><br />What the He!! do you think wars are fought over?<br /><br />Guess what? We won, there's a border, get over it. If you want to go south of it, go ahead. EXPECT NO RIGHTS WHEN YOU GET THERE. You know that, just not saying it.<br /><br />Not a level playing field. Folks in northern clime's have NO idea what's going on down here. They will-soon. Their neighbors will no longer speak english or have any inclanation to want to.<br /><br />We have to decide- SOON-what we want this country to be. As it is now, we're breaking apart and NOBODY cares.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Three cheers for the people who are taking a stand! <br /><br />Enough is enough, and we have put up with bull**** off Mexico for long enough. They shoot anything that attempts to infiltrate their southern border, yet expect us to hand over America to them on a silver platter. Screw Vicente Fox and the horse he rode in on.<br /><br />The poor in Mexico are victims of the super-rich who have corrupted that country since the days of Santa Ana and who would rather push their indigent poor off on another country. Horse****! <br /><br />America needs to protect itself, and the poor in Mexico need to jump up and open a big serious can of whoop-*** on their oppressors. Mexico has fabulous wealth, it just happens to all be in the hands of mighty few who need to be taken down a few notches. What they are essentially doing now is taking wealth from me and mine, and I have by-God-had-enough!<br /><br /><br />-dd-

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

According to the news these people are just getting in the way(setting off sensors etc).

D

DJ

According to the news these people are just getting in the way(setting off sensors etc).
So what? The US Border Patrol doesn't have the manpower, funding, inclination or desire to check them anyway.<br /><br />NOT the USBP's fault. It's Washingtons fault. Not funded, not cared about, out of sight-For NOW.<br /><br />It's well documented, the USBP catches about 10% of those crossing.<br /><br />Be aware people, not ALL those folks are hard working Mexicans looking for work.<br /><br />Many have "bigger" plans.

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by rodbolt:<br /> we stole in the first place
Excuse me? Stole? How does one STEAL land during a war? If teh victor claims it ans is able to keep it, then doesn't it belong to them?Why not give the US soil back to the Natives under those auspices? (And, ahem, by the way, I am of Native American descent, Maternal Grandmother 100%)

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

DJ, funding comes from taxes or elsewhere? Lack of doing there job, inclination, or manpower, probobly goes back to funding. The only way to stop this is the "Big Brother" syndrome. Some biometric pass port that is now being pushed by Washington. I myself don't care as today I have nothing to hide, but will this be used later in other pursuits? Pity our offspring in the future years as it could be used against them.

D

DJ

DJ, funding comes from taxes or elsewhere? Lack of doing there job, inclination, or manpower, probobly goes back to funding. The only way to stop this is the "Big Brother" syndrome. Some biometric pass port that is now being pushed by Washington. I myself don't care as today I have nothing to hide, but will this be used later in other pursuits? Pity our offspring in the future years as it could be used against them.
Huh?<br /><br />There's plenty of money, just no desire to put it where it's needed.<br /><br />The ONLY responsibility of the US Federal government is to protect the borders and its citizenry. Not Welfare, not prescription drugs, not Social Security programs we've all been duped into believing are rights.<br /><br />Not "big brother", its the federal govermnent asleep at the wheel.<br /><br />As I said, previously, those in the north, for the most part, have no idea or care about this-for now.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Oh where to start on this issue.... Nah I'm just gonna slowly back away and let yall settle it amongst yourself's.

Realgun

Commander

Screw Vicente Fox and the horse he rode in on
Actually it's an Arse. :D <br /><br />There are a few thing the imigrants do for us that we Americans cannot or will not do. Pick fruit vegatables is one.<br /><br />It the same reason I go down and buy a TV where is it made? Not here to expensive. <br /><br />Basically Mexico provides us cheap labor.<br />While I don't like their being illegals here accessing our healthcare and welfare they do provide a needed service.<br /><br />Personally I wish we could check everyone in and out and let them come here do the job and go home but thats not the case.<br /><br />Look how many higher ups have run into wheres your nanny and were they illegal?<br /><br />There is no easy solution but we could and should strenghten the border against illegals because as sure as the sun comes up alquera or whoever is going to bring harm across that border.<br /><br />Go Guard the Border. And my God bless your service. :)

Homerr

Commander

(Homer pulls out a lawn chair and hands Neumanns a beer) :) <br /><br /><br />H.

Twidget

Commander

we stole in the first place
Why is it everyone seems to believe that the Indians never fought among themselves for land? <br /><br />At the risk of sounding off the deep end, anyone who lives away from a border state doesnt really understand what is going on. The cost to our society for illegals is breaking the governments of the border states. <br /><br />To top it all off, law enforcement/medical services/schools dont consult with immigration officials when they believe someone is an illegal. It might 'interfere' with there rights and we wouldnt want to offend an illegal would we? :rolleyes:

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

wow<br /> its very clear that DJ and flatbottomes never read any history beyond the 3 paragraphs fed to them in high school.<br /> but its ok<br /> most never do. history is soooo boring. however those that dont know it are doomed to repeat it.<br /> while we are talking about stealing. paraphase how jackson stole what is now florida from spain??? can ya give me at least a paragraph on how a military leader stole that part ? I mean like tejas, it was spanish. just cause people moved over the border dont make it right. if it did all your arguments on the current border problems are in conflict.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Pssstt...Glug glug glug....Mmmmm....COLD!

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I dont give a crap if we stole it, bought it, killed for it, whatever.<br /><br />The point is that, beyond that line, the enemies, laws, money, and opportunities change.<br /><br />We need cheap Mexican labor, but we need it to be legal. Guest worker program just legalizes what is happening already. Once it is legal, we can track and monitor it.<br /><br />Our southern open border makes a mockery of all the new immigration laws. Terrorists will just walk across, instead of trying to come here legally.<br /><br />I hope these Minutemen keep doing what they are doing. If the border patrol had any brains, they would co-ordinate with these guys instead of taking a negative view of them.<br /><br />Ken

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Don't want to turn this into a North vs South thing, but we have needs for cheap labor too. The Mexicans in this area aren't working fields, but doing construction, roofing, drywall and other skill tradesmans work. So please keep in mind it is hurting everywhere. The Mexicans come in a take jobs for half the price. Even the Amish have always been competitive in traits as well, but they are even taking their jobs.<br /><br />There is produce farms in the North. Usually kids from 10 on up work these fields. I grew up staking, tieing, suckering, and picking tomatoes for 80 cents an hour. As I got older the more money and responsibility came with it. Today the parents give the kids so much, so why should they work?<br /><br />I feel that anything to help protect the borders that works, do it! As far as violance goes? So what, we have violance on our streets and traffic deaths everyday and it never stops. I don't think just letting people just walk into our country is right. Its wrong, they know its wrong and for years they knew the US wouldn't do a damn thing about it. I'm for the Minuet Men!