Update on ingition problems with johnson 1998 115 2 sroke

Crispy

Cadet
I am narrowing my ignition problem down to what I feel is the Stator assembly. My values on the power coil test are:
from orange/orange tracer to ground, no voltage. According to notes this means I have no short in power coil and or wiring.
I also did an ohm reading on the brown leads to ground, there I read open. No continuity.

Next the power coil cranking output. I read the two inside, orange/orange tracer leads, no voltage. I should have had min. 50vdc. Next I ohmed the same conductors and had 52ohms resistance. That is within specs.
Conclusion:
No voltage on the crank test

Next I tested the charge coil.
I did a cranking test on the brown/brown tracer to ground. No voltage. That would tell me that the charge coil is not shorted, or wireing.
I ohmed the same conductors, no continuity. Telling me no short to ground.
I did a cranking test on the brown/brown tracer and no voltage, here there should be 250vdc. I got none.
Finally an ohm reading across the brown leads and no resistance. I should of had 1,000-1,200

Am I correct in saying that the Stator assembly is roached. I did take machine to shop and had the optical timing sensor checked and it checked out fine. The only other thought was to test the power pack, once I make a load adapter.

PS. one of the posters suggested that I replace the reg/rect tray as well. I was wondering why? Since this part is around $200.00 Is there a way to test that component first? Not being contrair, just wondering.

Thanks a lot!! I'm learning more about my motor than I ever thought I would!!
Edit/Delete Message

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Update on ingition problems with johnson 1998 115 2 sroke

The 52 ohms for power coil is in spec, but odd no voltage reading, you are using a DVA meter correct not a regular ohm meter? No ohms reading across charge coils is a bad sign...

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer

If you are reading stator output, you should be using the AC scale on the meter. You will not get DC volts until the current goes throught the rectifier. It IS odd to have a zero AC volts reading on a stator coil if the ohms are within spec. I think you might have been using the wrong scale on the meter.

Crispy

Cadet

Thanks! I needed that. I work with 10 electricians and I think I got ten different answers. I began to be suspect when I read a few internet spots. So I do need to read the AV scale of the dvom? It only makes sense, since the Stator is before the rectifier. Now back to the testing.++

I'll Let ya know when I finally get this thing dialed in and repaired.....and fishing again.

Crispy:cool:

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds good!

Crispy

Cadet

Well, I think I have narrowed this down to the power pack. I went to radio shack, bought and built a load tester out of a 10-ohm-watt resistor. Cranked the four primary leads coming off the power pack. I had a freshly charged batt. and I was using the a.c. volt scale. I basically got no voltage from any of the primary wires. I checked each one twice. Made sure I was secured to a good ground.

Prior to this I checked the charge coil and power coil. Charge coil resistance was 1050ohms. spec'd out good. Next I did a crank test output on charge coil and got 160 volts. I am using a FLUKE 77 dvom. the volts are a little low,should be 250vac No voltage leaking to ground

Power coil resistance was 52ohms. spec'd out good. Next I did a crank test output on power coil. Got 27vac. the volts are a little low, should be 45-65vac Again no voltage leaking to ground.

So as near as I can see. Does this indicate a bad POWER PACK? Also with my machine, (Johnson fast strke 115h.p. 1998 60degree looper.) can I check the rectifier/regulator?

Thanks again

Crispy