UPDATE not fixed Puddled fuel in # 1 carb Throat

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi I have been having problem with this motor for a couple of years. Its only got worse as of late last season. I have repalced all the fuel lines to the carb and all the T's Thinking it was apin hole. I finally started tracking it closly. It use to only happen after a 30 minute run, now it happen more. I have removed the air intake to trouble shoot this problem. The motor runs fine for the first run then after going slow it boggs and stalls out. Heres what I found.It seems to only be running on the #2 and #3 cylinders at this time till you get more timming advancement from throttle movement and then #1 chimes in you can clearly here this.Its do to pooling of fuel in the throat of the # 1 carb its fouling the #1 plug at slow speed, or at idle or low rpms say 1500 and below when you advance the throttle she quits. If left at idle for more than 5 minutes it will cause the #1 plug to foul if the throttle is advanced she quits. I have a carb kit to rebuild the carb. What sould I be looking for that would cause the excess fuel. Is this a float problem? I have synk all the carbs so I thing its not that. I can see excess fuel spray even at idle?<br />steve

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: UPDATE not fixed Puddled fuel in # 1 carb Throat

Be sure to manually clean the brass fixed high speed jet which is located in the bottom center portion of the float chamber.<br /><br />Adjust the float when rebuilding the carburetor as follows:<br /><br />(Carburetor Float Setting)<br />(J. Reeves)<br /> <br />With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked.

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks joe you have been so helpful in the past as well. I will let you know in a couple of hrs.<br />steve

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Joe, I rebuilt the carb it was very clean and saw no problems. I put it back on the boat and it still puddled. I did pick up a carb synchronize tool. Its a vacume gage that goes over the carb throat. This did tell me that the carbs aren't synchronized I had 10 on #1 and 20 on #2 and 18 on #3 I am not sure of the scale but it shows there not synchronized. In my ziel to fixed the problem I when the wrong direction and tryed to get them at 20! oops!! I was opening them there by causing more speed!It did fix the hessatation problem and the pooling of fuel,but the engine was idleing to high with the throttle open to much. Tomorrow I will follow the direction and start from there. I am pretty sure this will work.<br />steve

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok I rebuilt the carb and it fixed the fuel problem but not the motor problem. The motor still bogs after warm up. I am now thinking coil heating up is this a symtom of a bad coil also? I can idle all around and even get about 1000 rpms out of the motor before she bogs down and this is at about 1/2 throttle? I put it in the water last week and it ran fine for 1/2 hr then it acted up.

james roach

Petty Officer 1st Class

This can be a sign of a coil breaking down on anything other than idle speed.