UPDATE:Being without AC in Texas is for the birds.

Kenneth Brown

Captain
My AC went out yesterday afternoon. Talk about HOT. I checked around here on the net and found a place that sells the units way cheap. Smarterwayinc is the place. It was $1187 for a 3.5 ton unit and air handler with $178 for shipping. I checked around and guys were asking $3250 for the same unit installed. $1800 labor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Way out of line. I can install the unit myself and my dad can charge it (he still has his liscense) for that much. Well I still ain't gonna do it myself. I found a guy that will charge $2250 to do it all so thats were I'm heading. He's suppose to be here at 9 in the morning to put it in. I figure its worth the time and trouble to go ahead and let him do it. I'll get a 5 year warrenty from manufactor plus he adds a year of his own to it. I figure thats enough to keep the wife off of me anytime there is a problem plus she can't hound me about it.

Whaler Proud

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: UPDATE:Being without AC in Texas is for the birds.

I can relate Kenneth! Being an expatriated Californian I wasn't prepared for what an HVAC install commanded here in God's Country :D <br /><br />After 10 summers here in Texas, I'll pay whatever they want. You are a better man than I! (and there goes my anonymous vote in the gender survey).

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

I went through being without ac for about 3 days not so long ago, it's hell, i guarantee.<br /> that's good info KB,1187.00 for a 3.5 ton unit is music to my ears,especially after seeing what some of these ac companies wanna charge folks.

Carphunter

Commander

Hey, I have A/C, but the dang storms knocked the power out for 10 hours yesterday! Thats the third time this year that the power has been out for 10 hours or more. Really miss that A/C at night when the temperature drops to a pleasant 85 degrees. :eek: <br /><br />I don't know whats worse, having A/C that works, but no power, or having power, but A/C that doesn't work. ;)

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Ahh- 68 degrees sure is nice. I just had to freeze the aqurium because I can. :) They put the unit in today and finished up around 3. Something peculiar is that everybody says that they run there AC at 75-78 and we always had to run ours at 70 to be comfortable. I got a new digital thermostat in the deal and it shows 75 and its plenty cold. I pulled the old tstat out and it showed 70 on it. I figured the new one must be off so I got the old standby mercury unit from outside. It showed 75 also. I guess I was wrong all along. 75 is just right.