Update: '58 7.5 runs for 6 hours then stalls

Kev

Seaman
I thought I had this problem licked, but it is back.<br /><br />My '58 7.5 idles smooth and runs strong, but after 4-6 hours of trolling it suddenly starts to cough and sputter and then it dies. Once it dies once, it is easy to restart but it will not rev up at all. Any attempts to increase the throttle (especially while in gear) will cause the motor to cough and die. Sometimes after resting for an hour or two, the engine runs normally for a few hours again.<br /><br />So far I've cleaned the carbs and rebuilt w/ a kit, replaced the float and set the float height correctly per the manual, checked the ignition system and replaced one cracked coil (other coil and points and condensers looked new), checked that points were clean and new and set to .020, and decarbed the motor w/ Sea Foam. The carbs are adjusted properly per Joe Reeves instructions.<br /><br />I suspected that the plugs were fouling so I replaced them with new plugs (J6J, .030) but that didn't help.<br /><br />The water pump is pumping a lot of water and the shaft and head are not overheating.<br /><br />I have the old style pressure tank and it develops plenty of pressure. Pumping the pump while the engine is dying does not help it keep running.<br /><br />Choking the engine does not help it keep running.<br /><br />I'm stumped here because the engine runs so good for a long time, then suddenly dies and runs crappy after that.<br /><br />Any ideas, guys?<br /><br />Thanks in advance,<br />Kev

Xcusme

Commander
Re: Update: '58 7.5 runs for 6 hours then stalls

Kevman,<br />Have you checked to see if you're loosing spark to either cylinder after you restart the motor?? Coils and condensers can look good, but in fact be defective.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Replace the coil, condenser, and points that looked new.

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You cured a leaky float. And 1 of the 2 cylinders that could heat up and conk out. Bad luck on which cylinder you first picked on. Do what R. Johnson says.

DHPMARINE

Captain

just wondering how long a 47 year old motor should run nonstop.That is a lot to ask from an old motor.<br />Probably the whole engine gets nicely warm and it runs lean.<br /><br />DHP

Kev

Seaman

So it is possible that a coil/condenser/point set fails as it gets hot, then I lose spark and am running on one cylinder until it cools down?<br /><br />Am I understanding this correctly? If I pull the spark plug wires one at a time, is this the way to confirm if I am losing spark?<br /><br />I don't think the engine starts running lean when it gets warm because I have tried readjusting the carb and that doesn't help.<br /><br />The problem is really mysterious to me because it only occurs after the motor has been running good for several hours.<br /><br />Thanks again for the ideas.<br />Kev