*UPDATE* 1963 Evinrude Fisherman 5.5HP keeps dying after a few seconds

purplerain810485

Seaman Apprentice
Hey, I've had this engine for a few years now..Given to me for free. It's been in the shop every year now after sitting all winter. I tried to start it today and once I finnaly got it to run..it would cut out after like 3-30 seconds. I want to learn more about outboards so I'm asking here before letting a pro look at it. The fuels old so I'm getting new fuel tomorrow. Could that cause this problem? Or is this something like a needle setting?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: *UPDATE* 1963 Evinrude Fisherman 5.5HP keeps dying after a few seconds

Well, old fuel can cause your problem but new fuel may not fix it.<br /><br />You will save yourself a lot of aggravation and bux by investing in a Service Manual.<br /><br />Sounds like a failed fuel pump. You pump some fuel into the carb with the primer bulb(through the fuel pump) and it starts. When that fuel is used up it quits. You can verify this by continuing to pump the primer bulb. That is a failed fuel pump.<br /><br />It is also possible that your carb needs a good cleaning. If the engine dies when you try to rev it up, but idles okay you have a gummed up carb.<br /><br />A normal shop will have to charge you several times the price of the manual and parts to fix it, maybe even more than the engine is worth in running condition.<br /><br />Get the Manual. Study it, then come back with what you find. If you still have problems, we can guide you to a sweet running engine again.<br /><br />Get an aftermarket Manual here: http://www.boatmotors.com/manuals.html <br /><br />Or google up Ken Cook for an OEM Manual reprint, which I recommend.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Paul Moir

Admiral

Yup!<br />The owner's manual is like a car's owner's manual. And the information in that one is dated. It's really not very useful. The parts catalog has the part number of every component on your engine, plus exploded diagrams of every section. It's useful for the diagrams but the part numbers are really the responsibility of your parts person.<br />The service manual has a few diagrams and all the instructions and specifications you need to fix anything that's wrong with the engine. <br />There's a '64 manual on ebay for the 5.5hp. It'll cover the '63 model if there's any changes too. Search:<br />(5.5, 5.5hp) (johnson, evinrude) manual<br />It's not a great savings so you might just want to get the '63 one.<br /><br />Oh, and I almost forgot! Have a look at Tom Travis' 5.5hp site:<br /> Click here.

purplerain810485

Seaman Apprentice

OK then..I'm going to order that service manual right now.

purplerain810485

Seaman Apprentice

After getting the new gas and mixing in the oil..The engine fired right up. I took it out real quick (I live on the Halifax River) to test the shifting and see how it ran. Shifting was fine but I did notice something. The engine would start out running really good but then it would slowly get slower and slower until I wasn't moving all that great. What could cause this dropoff?

TTravis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You may be overheating. Splash some water on the head to see if it sizzles. If you have original ignition parts in there, then your coild probably need replacing.

purplerain810485

Seaman Apprentice

Here's what's been done to the motor (all by same mechanic).<br /><br />6-2-00<br />pen oil ?<br />ignition boot kit ?<br />spark plugs<br />carburetor kit & clean<br />engine tune<br />PH gasket ?<br />5/16 & 3/16 hoses<br />Lube & grease<br />Type M Adhesive ?<br />Impeller<br />Tie wraps<br />fuel<br /><br />5-21-01<br />spark plugs<br />lube<br />CRC ?<br />Engine tune<br />Torch ?<br />Fuel <br /><br />10-17-02<br />carburetor kit<br />bleeder hose ?<br />engine tune<br />Fuel & clean <br />Prop cap<br />Shear pin ?<br />Cover latch parts<br /><br />I put the question marks by things I dont understand. What are those? His writing is really messy so I might have gotten something wrong.

Paul Moir

Admiral

I think Tom is most likely right about the overheating. Another possibility is a problem with the fuel supply system. An easy way to check this is to pump the primer bulb when it's acting up. If the engine doesn't change it's running then it's fine. If it improves look for a weak fuel pump, fuel line restriction (clogged filter for example), air leaks at the fuel line fittings - particulairly the fuel line connector fittings. <br /><br />A little decoding:<br />Pen Oil - Penetrating oil (to loosen stuck fasteners)<br />Ignition boot kit - replacement 'ends' for the spark plug wires where they connect to the spark plugs.<br />PH gasket - Power Head gasket. Replacing the impeller requires removing the power head (engine proper) to disconnect the shift linkage. A proper job of reinstalling the powerhead requires a new gasket.<br />Type M adhesive - OMC product used to seal gaskets.<br />CRC - Corrosion inhibiting spray. Good stuff for spraying down the powerhead.<br />Torch - ?? Possibly used a torch to loosen some stuck bolts. This is almost always necessary with old salt-water motors.<br />Bleeder Hose - I belive this is a recirulation hose, which recirculates oil from the bottom bearing to the top.<br />Shear pin - this is a little replaceable stainless pin that drives the propeller when the propshaft turns. It's purpose is to shear if the propeller strikes an underwater object while running. It may have been replaced with a nail or something else at one time (as they often are). It is good practice to carry spares and the tools required to replace it.