up or down

stewd8

Cadet
i'm new to this sport, and would like to know,,,boat on trailer, traveling, 8hp up or down....i've been lookin at others and noticed both, i have tried both,,when down it jumps around a lot and keeps jumping up to the next notch,,,,when up, it jumps around to the point of flipping the switch and falling down,,,,,i do have it straped to one side,,,,how do you strap it up or down,,,,or is there a lock that i'm missing.....

Re: up or down

There are two reasons that people trailer with their motors tilted up.

The first is that bigger motors put a lot of torque on the transom, and therefore people use a transom-saver which is a rod that transfers some of the weight to the trailer frame. Little 8hp motors don't put that kind of stress on boat transoms.

The second reason is that you don't want the skeg on your lower unit to hit pavement while traveling down the road. Most of the time it happens when you leave a parking lot or another transition where the motor can smack into the pavement.

Most small motors are neither in danger of damaging the transom nor of hitting the pavement so they are trailered in the down position. Some people just run a rope around the back of the boat, catching the motor, and tied to the trailer. Others lift up the motor, slip a 2x4 between the motor and bracket, and then tie the motor down. You could also buy a small transom saver. However, you should be able to lock your motor in the down position and have it stay down. It will twist and turn but that's not a big deal

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

You've noticed both ways because the majoritry of boat owners don't care or don't have a clue.

Put it down and shift into reverse so it stays locked. Run a bungie cord from the tille to the stern eye and it won't move at all.

If you have less than 12" road clearance, do the 2x4 thing as mentioned above.

Mi duckdown

Commander

Don't do the 2x4 thing, unless you drill a hole in the board and tie it to something. A board bounceing down the roard is a hazzard to all behind you

stewd8

Cadet

i put two eye hooks in the back of the trailer, to hook a large bungie too, and around the leg, then lift the motor a notch,,,all tight,,,,
10 inchs clearance from ground
thanks for your thoughts