Unpainted Bobbers/floats

Fishbusters

Ensign
I want to get some plain unpainted foam bobbers. What I want is a size for bream fishing and some bigger for other species. I got a hold of some at the flea market one year and painted some of them brown for my clear water fishing and others chartreuse for low light conditions. The worked like a charm and side by side with commercial red the brown spooked/got hit by less fish while the chartreuse stayed visible way longer than the red or even white which means that during that dusk magic hour you can see your bobber longer. I kind of hate giving away these secrets but I figured since someone was gonna tell me where to find them I might as well tell them why. <br />BTW Commercially painted bobbers don't take to repainting too well and it takes a special paint for plastic to do the job. You can also use model paint but plastic paint from crafts works well and is cheaper.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Unpainted Bobbers/floats

Sorry, no source for the floats. But you can also use nail polish for touch ups on floats and lures. Some kids nail polish even comes "glow in the dark". I've got some red, yellow, and glowing white. The best part is that it is removable.<br /><br />I put a little dab of it on my reel spools to keep track of the lb test line. Change the line, remove the dab and add a new one next to appropriate number on the spool.

crab bait

Captain

i got some real white foam bouys at a bait shop onetime.. cut them into small shapes an used as bobbers.. drilled a small hole ... strung my line thru .. tiny split shot top & bottom ..<br /><br />or for 'good' fishin' .. split shot only on bottom.. <br /><br />you could paint on theses to your hearts content..

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Perhaps you could make a mold and use "great stuff" expanding foam. simular in color for your brown bobbers. Just stop by the pub and pick up some drink stir straws to put in the middle and you would have a slip bobber rig. Highly paintable and would not even be toufgh to weight.<br /><br />Hey if you go this way let me know how it works, seams like a viable idea.

Fishbusters

Ensign

Hagens looks like they have what I want. I ordered a catalog from them thanks for the link. <br />BTW anyone else got a link let me know.

ebbtide176

Commander

i'd sure let you know iffen i knew of those unpainted bobbers PFB... i haven't heard of foam bobbers unless you mean the hard foam (styrofoam) type. i guess you mean soft foam? i use clear casting bubbles and quill sometimes- and the quill have flourescent tips... just a thought

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Yes the make little spongy foam ones too. About 1/2 inch in diameter. They are stamped out of a rubber mat of sorts. Then a toothpick is stuck thru them. Some folks use them for ice fishing, because if they start to build up with ice, all you have to do is pinch them in your fingers to break the ice off.

Fishbusters

Ensign

Styrofoam bobbers. I was trying to think of what I wanted to say but could not. Foam is all the output of my brain was able to come up with as opposed to wood and hard plastic. I think the catalog above will have what I need but there was no price on the website. I am not in a hurry so I will wait a while (hopefully the catalog gets here) till I ask them how much.