Unlocking/Jailbreaking iPhone4

QC

Supreme Mariner
Quick background: We have a small division in Australia that I now cover again. The previous guy had an iPhone 4 that reverted to me. I was due for a phone here in the US, so I am trying to use this device in both spots. I need two sim cards. We use AT&T here, Telstra there. I went to the AT&T guys and we tried a new sim card and indeed this phone is locked by Telstra. They actually suggested I go to one of the "Kiosk" type phone vendors to get it unlocked, and then I can do the sim card swap thing when in either country.

Sooo . . . . I am suspect of the Kiosk guys, and I am suspect of the online guys. I'd prefer to just do this myself, but I am having a hard time weeding my way through the online products to determine what's good and safe, and what's BS. Thoughts? Experience?

Oh, and I think what I need is termed unlock as I want to use a different carrier. I believe that Jailbreaking is only to allow unlimited App downloads, and is not completely "unlocked". Do I have the verbiage right?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Unlocking/Jailbreaking iPhone4

My understanding is that you have to jailbreak before you can unlock. I jailbreaked my iphone but only to be able to load up other apps since I wasn't interested in unlocking.

My understanding is that to unlock you just need to load an app which does the actual unlock.

Keep in mind that you can't upgrade the OS on the phone without going through the whole jailbreak process over again. One reason why I haven't bitten the bullet and upgraded to 5.0.1 yet.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Oh...by the way, the tutorials here are good.

http://www.iphone4jailbreak.org/

You always want to do an untethered jailbreak, otherwise you can't reboot your phone unless hooked up to a computer. When it says "untethered" that does not mean you can't use a tethering app later to turn your phone into a wifi hotspot(the best part about jailbreaking to me).

QC

Supreme Mariner

Thanks. Will try that.

impatico

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh...by the way, the tutorials here are good.

http://www.iphone4jailbreak.org/

You always want to do an untethered jailbreak, otherwise you can't reboot your phone unless hooked up to a computer. When it says "untethered" that does not mean you can't use a tethering app later to turn your phone into a wifi hotspot(the best part about jailbreaking to me).

Just so you know, WiFi hotspot was a just a iOS update, nothing to do with jailbreaking, and you have the tethering correct BUT some things require a tethered jailbreak.

yes use redsn0w or similar to jailbreak, then that will install a new app store called Cydia, go into cydia and search for ultrasn0w, and that will unlock the iphone.

google ultrasn0w to get a guide if need be

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Just so you know, WiFi hotspot was a just a iOS update, nothing to do with jailbreaking, and you have the tethering correct BUT some things require a tethered jailbreak.
Actually, if you want to run a WiFi hot spot without paying the tethering fee to Verizon or ATT you have to jailbreak and usee an App like PdaNet. You of course have to jailbreak to use that App.

What things require a tethered jailbreak? As fas as I know there is an untethered jailbreak for the 4S right?

QC

Supreme Mariner

I must be stupid. I read that stuff and it goes around and around in circles. The link above, the guy says you can do this, pluses and minuses, and you can do this, pluses and minuses. Then there are links on the site that say, just download this for $25 and you're good to go in 5 minutes. Yet the guy blogging there says nothing about them . . . I think that's my question. Are any of these "we're the best way and its only five minutes" good? I care about three things, in order of importance:

1) I need to switch to AT&T in the states
2) I want to tether for my own hotspot
3) App freedom

impatico

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have used the $25 one like this one : http://www.easyiphoneunlocking.com/
it didn't work for mine so I asked for my money back and they didn't bat an eye, I got it back right away. so worth a try.

and tethering fee's must be a US thing, non of my friends have that here in Canada, but then again our cell bill are WAY higher than you guys :(

and I can't remember what I was trying to do with my phone but I remember I needed a tethered jailbreak, but I would ALWAYS recommend an untethered break just for hassle free.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Update . . .

So I fiddle farted around with Ultrasn0w for a week or so. Didn't work with 04.11.08 Firmware which they agree and are refunding.

On a whim I called Telstra and they offer free unlocking to anyone :facepalm: Didn't think to just ask. So on Monday of last week they agreed to unlock. Standard line, Sync after 5 - 72 hours and you'll get a message saying "Congratulations your phone is unlocked". I was a good boy and checked every 20 mins for three days . . . Never got message. Finally went to AT&T store and got a new SIM. Yay!!!!! It's unlocked and it works!!! Yay . . . Not so fast.

So I'm driving home, and click on Google Maps. "No Data plan coverage." So I call our AT&T rep (work phone) and he tries and says "Sorry, some phones are not allowed to have a data connection due to contractual issues." Say what? Yup, AT&T will not allow data plans in conjunction with some company's phones. So I think I;m dead in the water. This is now a legitimately unlocked phone. I can call on it, text, and surf with WiFi, but no cellular data which makes it almost worthless for work. Grrrrrrrrrrr :mad:

Oh, there is a guy in New Zealand who can fix this if you have the ability to change your carrier settings. I . . . do not. Ahhhhhh!

Thoughts?

buildmark

Seaman Apprentice

ask At&t if you can pay for the data package out of your pocket.

QC

Supreme Mariner

The company would do that. I was trying to save us a buck or two. Looks like I will end up with 2 iPhones as AT&T seems like they aren't going to budge.

QC

Supreme Mariner

So I called the generic AT&T number yesterday. Not our rep who I called before. I gave them my phone number, they never asked for the IMEI number. I had full service, including tethered modem use, in 10 mins. Done, perfect, what I was trying to get in the first place.

Lessons learned:

1) Don't assume your carrier won't unlock. They might
2) Don't assume what you read about unlocking services or data plan limitations
3) Don't simply trust first phone company person you talk to either