unleaded additive???

loghomer

Seaman
I bought a 1976 searay with a 255 horse merc. I changed the fuel filter and started it today. It ran good. My friend ask me if I needed to put a leaded additive in the fuel? He thought since it was so old it needed the additive so the cylinders wont burn up. Any opinions??

Bondo

Staff member
Re: unleaded additive???

The Lead Only lubes the Valve Seats...........<br /><br />You Could add it If you'd care too..........<br />Most people, Including Myself, just run it..........<br /><br />If,+ When the Heads Need work,<br />Have Hardened Seats Installed Then........

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think a 1976 engine would be compatible with unleaded fuel with no modifications or additives.

hoot

Chief Petty Officer

i have a 78 IL6 and use lead additive, not everytime i fill up, maybe every 3rd to 4th time. don't know if it works or not, would like to see a study on it. this product is getting hard to find in my area, someday will be gone from the shelves.

Trent

Captain

There is concern about older four-stroke cycle engines in marine service, which were designed prior to the introduction of unleaded gasoline (pre-1974). Under severe duty, these older engines could have valve recession problems. If these engines are in severe duty service, owners should consider installing hard seat inserts or using lead substitute additives to minimize valve recession. Products like this have been found effective in minimizing valve recession.<br /><br />Mercury, who is a major supplier of Stern Drive Engines for marine use, advises that their engines are automotive based and have hardened exhaust valve seats. Most of Mercury's outboard engines were developed with unleaded gasolines, and Mercury's only concern is with octane number.<br /><br />All of Outboard Marine Corporation's current four-stroke cycle engines were designed for unleaded gasoline and valve protection additives are not needed. Additives are also not needed for their two-stroke cycle engines, however, some of them may have the need for octanes higher than 87(R+M)/2.<br /><br />The newer Volvo Pinta Stern-Drive four-stroke cycle engines are designed for use with unleaded gasoline. Some of the older engines are not. We would suggest owners contact their dealer for advice if they have an older engine in severe service.<br /><br />Yamaha outboard engines operate satisfactorily on unleaded gasoline. At least one model, a high performance Model 225, requires a minimum 89(R+M)/2 gasoline.<br /><br />Outboard Marine Corporation has issued a Service Letter for General Information #53, August 1985, subject: Gasoline Lead and Alcohol. This bulletin is very comprehensive on their position regarding unleaded gasoline use and has extensive guidelines relating to their minimum octane level desired. This should be available from Johnson and Evinrude dealers.