Universal Fuel Sender??

CuttingEdgeNY

Seaman Apprentice
In my project boat there is two under deck fuel tanks that are about 60-75 gallons each. They are the original tanks in the boat - 1972. The tanks have a sight glass on the top of them to show the amount of fuel left. It looks like the ones on top of a home fuel oil tank. I'm in the middle of emptying the old fuel to turn the tanks sideways and clean them out, but also want to install sending units. Will those universal sending units from seachoice fit the hole where these sight gauges go. I don't know how they mount on. The universals look like they have a ring of 4 or 5 screws that bolt down to the top of the tank. What do the sight glasses have to hold them down, screw holes???
Thanks,
Ken

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: Universal Fuel Sender??

to the question about the sight glass' need to see them to maybe tell you how they are held on.

As for the universal sending units, there are many differnt ones for different height tanks. Get the one that fits your tank size and cut the hole and mount it as per the instructions.

Aslo you say you have 2 tanks, does it draw from both at the same time? if so then you will only need one sender and gauge.

CuttingEdgeNY

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Universal Fuel Sender??

The universal sending units that have adjustable heights, do they need a flat surface to put the screws through, or are they meant to cut a hole and make your own mount?
As for the tanks, I have two, one on each side of the engine, but I don't know if they draw at the same time. I'll tell you what I have for a setup. Its one hose for each tank to a external fuel filter (fram type) then one hose straight to the fuel pump. Would the setup mentioned draw all togther? I know there is a little valve on both sides of the filter where the tanks come into.