Unidentified Johnson needs a powerpack

Ira C.

Cadet
I have what I was told is a military 97 Johnson 35hp but the motor has no model number or serial number.It is a 2 cylinder tiller with rope start.I replaced the cam actuator by using the part number.Now I need a powerpack but the part number is worn off.My mechanic can't find one to match it & wants to try to splice in a used one he has.The wire colors don't match. There has got to be a better way to do this!

Harker

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Unidentified Johnson needs a powerpack

Just use one from a 30hp, I believe it's the same thing.I highly doubt that your motor is a 97. Mine was advertised as a 92,AML35D and looking up that number say's it was a 95. I wouldn't splice in anything oddball. Mine is a CD2 unit rated for 6000 or 6500 rpm...have to read what it says and it's in the barn at work.I looked in BRP's web parts diagrams and the power pack was the same for 30 and 35hp.

Ira C.

Cadet

The power pack is a 4 pin + 2 pin with a kill switch.All I can find for a 30 or 35 are 5 pin.Surely this is not a special military part-that wouldn't make sense.But then it wouldn't have to would it?I will keep looking.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Could you post a picture of what you have for a power pack?

Ira C.

Cadet

I don't have the ability to do that yet:) It does look like the others except for the connectors.(That probably doesn't help)Sorry!

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

Ira, I pm'd you back about the powerpack with a 4+3 connector for an 84 25hp commercial. It's in iboats marine store. It seems like these motors were built with parts from different years and hp ratings. The navy probably had a huge supply of parts they put them together with.

Ira C.

Cadet

Harker,did you say your original power pack was a 4+2 with the kill switch seperate?And did you also say the CDI 113-2453 works on yours?(This sounds like you are on the witness stand)So,will the 4+3 work with mine?Are those 4 pins in a semi-circle?

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

I did not say that..what makes you think I said that? It's not me..it's you..right? This is crazy. heh heh heh....Mine is the one that came on it. It has a 4 +2 and the two kill wires and a ground wire. The 2 connector are the coil leads and the 4 is the half moon setup that goes up under the flywheel. I would think, that if you got the 2453 with the 4+3, that it would work...I have to believe the 3rd hole in the 3 prong is a kill wire socket. I also think if I ever need one, that I would get one for a 92-95 30hp 2cyl manual start and get a new 5 prong end to addapt the motor to it. I don't think you would have to have wires from each hole filled. I think those extra holes are for the SLOW system and mine doesn't have it. I hope a REAL expert chimes in and tells me right or wrong. You probably wouldn't want one for the SLOW system unless you have it on your motor since it may think its in SLOW mode without the under flywheel stuff for it.

Ira C.

Cadet

I can't believe I missed it before, but under the motor cover I found the model number -AML35D. I put Power Pack #585224 on it & it works perfectly. All the wire colors matched up, so it was easy to install. I wouldn't buy one of these military motors on purpose, but right now it cranks on the first pull & runs great. Now, if I could only get this 14 ft. Starcraft it is on to stop porposing, I would be set. I think I just need some weight in the bow.