Underwater Lighting

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just wondering if anyone has ever installed underwater lighting on their boat. I was thinking about doing some kind of lighting job, something like that cruiser in JAWS.<br /><br />It would be nice for night fishing/swimming.

dinsdale

Seaman
Re: Underwater Lighting

Check out Pond suppliers, get the lights without the transformers. Most are 12V.

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ive actually been checking that out... Some are PVC plastic or Stainless. My boat is in saltwater. Is stainless acceptable below the water line, should i worry about electrolosis?<br /><br />And does anyone have thoughts about mounting a couple underwater lights below the waterline in the transom? Considering I do a good job mounting them & sealing with 5200. It should work out pretty well right? (I am very cautious about any holes below the waterline)

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

TopNotch.. Somewhere just recently I saw what I think you may be looking for.... Hummmm, where was that thing?<br /><br />AH-HA! Found it! :) Overtons has it...(Try iboats first tho ;) ) It's made by Barnegat Light.... search for Swim Platform Light...

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

holy crap $120! For a light bulb? Ill bungie my mag light to the lower unit!!

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Yeah! $120's a bit steep... There are some LED underwater livewell lights that might work too..... About $15 bucks and low amp draw too...

TopNotch

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice, yeah ive seen those... Just afraid they wont be bright enough.<br /><br />Ive been checking out http://www.staritepool.com/ flush mounting lights would require a larger cutout.. kinda scary, but done right, i think it would be sweet, and wouldnt compromise transom strength all that much.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

I would'nt cut a hole.... Make a "pod" for the pool light out of fiberglass or starboard or something then attach the pod with screws... A couple small holes instead of one big one... just a thought..