Under cowling fuel hose replacement

arimatation

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just want to replace some of the black rubber hose from the fuel connector to the carbs. I see that some 90 degree turns are there.

What are my options? I see one site that sells Merc parts wants $50 just for the fuel hose from the connector to after the fuel pump. This does not count the hose to the carbs and the fuel bleed hoses.......

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Under cowling fuel hose replacement

I went thru the same thing w/ an old Merc 110. I went to the hardware store and found all the brass fittings w/ hose barbs and hose to replace the hose from cowl to fuel pump and pump to carb for $23. And when they get old and cracked, they're easy to replace.
Mike

saumon

Lieutenant

Sometimes you can replace hoses with generic straight fuel hoses but some other times you simply can't. I learn this the hard way, believe me, as i once replaced a bent cracked hose with a regular straight one forced to fit. I then created a kink in the hose, thus restricting the fuel supply to that carburetor, and so on...

arimatation

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know that there is automotive fuel injection hose and standard carb fuel hose. The problem is you need Coast Guard approved hose correct? A standard carb outboard is very low pressure hose. So I would think either would work fine. But am I missing something?

What other hose choices are there? I notice my old hose is starting to get gummy.

saumon

Lieutenant

I know that there is automotive fuel injection hose and standard carb fuel hose. The problem is you need Coast Guard approved hose correct? A standard carb outboard is very low pressure hose. So I would think either would work fine. But am I missing something?

Personnally i've never bothered to comply with CG requirements on O/B carb fuel hose, for the reason you've mentionned. I use standard fuel hose when i can (straight or only slight bend) and i purchase OEM ones when the bends are too tight.

arimatation

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think I will get the black rubber fuel hose from West marine and use 90 /45 degree fittings. I might buy the bends.