UN Debacle

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The UN's credibility just keeps on slipping...<br /><br /> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=9003122 <br /><br />
<br />New Zealand author of damning book on UN to lose job<br /> <br />14.12.04 10:00am <br /> <br />A New Zealand doctor and United Nations employee who co-wrote a book exposing sex, drugs and corruption among UN peacekeeping forces says he is being sacked.<br /><br />Andrew Thomson wrote Emergency Sex and Other Desperate Measures, a True Story from Hell on Earth, along with former co-worker Kenneth Cain, and current UN employee Heidi Postlewait.<br /><br />Published in June, the book talks about alleged corruption and failed leadership that contributed to disasters in Rwanda in 1994 and in Bosnia at about the same time.<br /><br />Dr Thomson said it was scandalous that a million people were killed in those countries and not a single official was investigated or disciplined.<br /><br />He said Mr Cain had also documented allegations of mass rape by peacekeepers while working in Liberia.<br /><br />Dr Thomson said his contract with the UN has not been renewed and his employment will terminate at the end of the year.<br /><br />Speaking on National Radio this morning from Washington, Dr Thomson said his looming termination didn't come as a surprise, but sent a terrible message.<br /><br />Referring to UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan, Dr Thomson said: "On the one hand you can be in charge of the peacekeepers, as he was in the '90s when these catastrophes happened, and get promoted to the top job in the organisation .<br /><br />"But if, like myself, you work in those mass graves with the result of those catastrophes and then write about it, with the stories of all the victims and survivors I worked with, you get fired.<br /><br />"If that's the message they're sending then I have more concerns for the United Nations than I have for myself."<br /><br />Dr Thomson said his contract had previously been renewed every year for the past 12-years, but a recent letter saying it would not be renewed didn't give any reasons.<br /><br />He said there was a strong code of silence in the UN. While still loyal to the organisation, he was no longer loyal to its leadership.<br />

NYMINUTE

Captain
Re: UN Debacle

The UN in my mind is another huge waste of money. We have far too many watchdogs in this world, and to date the results are non-existant.<br />Still fighting in the mid-east, still have discrimination issues everywhere, nukes, and so forth. Aside from talking, and eating what have they done??

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: UN Debacle

The un will continue to fade away, now that the groundwork has been laid for the creation of the last great empire, which will be created out of the European union. The EU will also spawn the AntiChrist.<br /><br />Haven't you been listening to Coast to Coast AM ?