Uggg!! Need help!!

sewerrat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So I thought today, of all days (its 100 degrees out), would be a good day to do a prop change. First time ever changing props.
Everything went great and I have the motor in the trailering position because it was easier to work on at eye level.
Anyways, the cotter pin that goes on the prop shaft let loose from my needle nose pliers and went into the lower unit (I think).
A flashlight inspection doesn't reveal the fawkin cotter pin.
Any thoughts? Do I have to drop the lower unit? I hope not, just changing the prop was a major mechanical feat for me!
It is a 1996 Johnson OceanRunner 115hp outboard.

Thanks!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Uggg!! Need help!!

The cotter shouldn't go into the lower unit. Try cranking your front wheel dolly all the way up and lower your motor as far as it will go, if it still doesn't come out try tapping the foot with a rubber mallet.

sewerrat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The cotter shouldn't go into the lower unit. Try cranking your front wheel dolly all the way up and lower your motor as far as it will go, if it still doesn't come out try tapping the foot with a rubber mallet.

My skeg is 1/8" above the ground (ie, motor low, wheel dolly high) and nothing. It definitely when through the prop and into the tube-like thing the prop attached to. I have the prop off again, but can't find the cotter pin in there

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

uhmm, maybe a magnetic retrieval tool would do you some good... there is no way the fawkin cotter key got inside of your lower unit, but needs to be found anyway...before it hurts something....if the fawkin cotter key was made of stainless steel... no magnet will help...follow jigngrubs advise and do a finger search....lol

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Man, I hate when things like that happen! The magnet idea seems like a good thing to try.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

you must understand........

MR. MURPHY loves boats

sewerrat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Grrr . .ran it on muffs with the prop off hoping the exhaust would shoot it out . .no dice.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Grrr . .ran it on muffs with the prop off hoping the exhaust would shoot it out . .no dice.

This calls for a full body cavity search, break out the vaseline and rubber gloves and don't stop until you reach the back of its teeth!!!

sewerrat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This calls for a full body cavity search, break out the vaseline and rubber gloves and don't stop until you reach the back of its teeth!!!

If only I had 14" long fingers!! No luck finding it. . .quitting for the night and will look tomorrow. I'm probably going to chalk it up as a lost cotter pin and not sweat it

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class

i would take a garden hose and try blasting some water up there with the motor trimmed all the way down