U-joint lubrication

Im getting ready for winterization of my merc. with alpha one drive. I was just wondering how many of you pull the upper end to grease the ujoint and spline. I think I read in the manual its recommended every 50 hours. Im sure many of us havent done this maintenance in years. What are your thoughts, Im worried about doing more damage than good.

intrepid

Seaman
Re: U-joint lubrication

I've got a 95 merc 3 liter and i've heard that some of these u joints are "permanently lubricated"<br /><br /> is this true?<br /> does it work ?<br /><br /> is my merc one of these ?<br /> how can I find out ?<br /><br /> thanks

dick

Chief Petty Officer

Once a year without fail. I do it when I winterize ,even if you have permlube u-joints pull the leg ,then you can check for water in the bellows or shift cavity and feel the gimble bearng .If you put it away right all you got to do in the spring is drop the battery back in ,flash it up and go.<br />If you have permalube u-joints there are no grease fittings on them.

johnkc

Petty Officer 1st Class

how old of a drive do you have? with permalube u-joints you also have a grease zerk on the engine coupler that greases the splines.

Mine is an '89' if I could grease the spline do I still need to get the U-joint? Where would I find the grease fitting for the spline?

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

It is a really a good idea to pull the drive off every fall so you can service it,grease the joints,inspect bellows,lube shift arm,and keep the drive out of the extreme weather.Even a cold gerage is better than outside.I keep mine in a heated basement.It will also make it much easier for when you DO need to remove the drive from the boat.Mine slides right into my hands when i take it off.I have helped friends remove theirs after years of not removing it and let me tell you,it can be difficult.Same trouble splitting the drive .Charlie

johnkc

Petty Officer 1st Class

you need to pull drive to get splines and u-j's on yours