U-Joint Bellows replacement on Alpha 1 gen 1

Ron R Cox

Cadet
I am really having a rough time getting the bellows to fit over the lip on the bell housing. Is there a trick to getting this done. I have watched all the videos on You Tube and read the info from Mercruiser. Been working on this for days now.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Yes, they are a bit*h, especially if you dont have the proper tools. Many spray with power tune to make it more slippery.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
For the driveshaft bellow, don’t use power tune. It needs the adhesive. Remove the pivot pins and then you can push the bell in to assist putting it on. The exhaust bellow goes on dry, no adhesive. Shift cable takes the adhesive also.

Ron R Cox

Cadet
For the driveshaft bellow, don’t use power tune. It needs the adhesive. Remove the pivot pins and then you can push the bell in to assist putting it on. The exhaust bellow goes on dry, no adhesive. Shift cable takes the adhesive also.
I have tried all of that, I think that at eighty years old I just don't have the strength anymore. Going to try and find a boat shop that will do it for me.
Thanks for getting back to me on this.

airshot

Rear Admiral
The power tune evaporates quickly, then adhesive can be added.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
The power tune evaporates quickly, then adhesive can be added.
Well yes the power tune evaporates quick, but it's rather harder to get the adhesive in the mating surfaces after they are on. The adhesive actually lubes the bellows as they slide on.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I followed the service manual exactly and had no luck with that job. I ended up pushing the bellows onto the transom plate with a dull tire iron. Make sure the clamps go on exactly where they were originally.

Ron R Cox

Cadet
I followed the service manual exactly and had no luck with that job. I ended up pushing the bellows onto the transom plate with a dull tire iron. Make sure the clamps go on exactly where they were originally.
Well, I finally got it on. I hope, just pulled and tugged a little at a time. Had a rough time with the exhaust bellows, even with the Mercruiser tool. But I did get it on. Now I am ready to attach the new shift cable and hook up the Trim Limit and Trim Sender switches. Hope to get it on the lake before it starts getting cold here in the Dallas area. Again, thanks for all the advice from all of you.