U-Bolts torque

fch2cxr

Cadet
Any body knows the proper torque for the U-bolts after replacing an axel???:confused:

fch2cxr

Cadet
Re: U-Bolts torque

Thanks man, ironically the link/pages tells not to use lock washers, but the
U-bolt kit came with lock washers... what should I do???:confused:

arimatation

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm rebuilding the EZ-Loader trailer and bought a bunch of u bolts for it. They came with lock washers. I am going to use double nuts with loctite blue. The double nuts will be tightened against each other.
If I need to re adjust things I don't want to have the lock nuts peel off all the galvanized coatings and create repair. Not supposed to use a lock washer with a flat washer either.

If you don't use lockwashers you need another way to prevent the nuts backing off, hence why I'm using loctite. My last bad experience with a lock washer was removing a trailer ball that was brand new. I am an experienced handy guy and auto mechanic.

So I wanted to use the ball on a bumper hitch. I removed it and the lock washer peeled the brand new threads off the off the ball. That was a first.
The threads were toast. I will admit I used to pipe wrenches to do the evil deed. I did not have the jumbo sized wrenches to be able to do it.

nlain

Commander

Actually the nut pulled the threads off the ball. I have been twisting wrenches for at least 50 of my 65 years of life, I have never had a lock washer pull threads, had many a nut pull threads off a stud or bolt.