types of anchors

nofish95

Cadet
I have a 17' center console, fiberglass hull with a 70hp force outboard. We do a lot of fishing in the middle Cheaspeake bay and was hoping someone could put me on to the right anchor package. We're currently using a danforth anchor,(don't know what size it is), and have about 8' of chain and 150' of rode and we still have a hard time getting a good bite. most of the bottom in this area is pretty much grey mud with some sandy grassy flats. <br />Any help out there.<br /><br />Nofish

phantoms

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: types of anchors

I've never had problem with the danforth in any kind of mud bottom, grassy might be where you have problems. Make sure when you use the anchor, you gently lower it in the water and let out enough rode to safely hold, bump it in reverse until it catches. If you're doing this and still having problems, maybe a claw type anchor would work better. Claw type works better for rocky bottom too. It might be worth it to carry both types.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

You may just need a different brand of "Danforth" type anchor. Some of the cheaper ones with wide flukes and dull points and the sliding ring on the shank don't set as well as ones with narrower flukes and sharper points and a solid shank. Ditto on the recommendation to lower (not throw) the anchor. If you throw it more often than not the chain or rode will wrap around the flukes and prevent a proper set. See a recent post I made called "the importance of chain".

nofish95

Cadet

Thanks all, I do have one of the "cheaper ones", with wide flukes and a slinding ring, maybe I'll try a better one, no sliding ring or wide flukes.<br /><br />Thanks again, nofish

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Make sure your letting out enough line. Even with 8 feet of chain and 150 feet of line the max depth you can anchor in with a 3 to one scope is 47 feet. This is only good for slow currents and light wind loads. Stronger currents an wind loads you should use a 5 to one scope so you anchor will hold in water up to 27 feed deep. Many people out here let out line until the anchor hit bottom then just a little more and tie it off. This does not allow the anchor to dig in like it should.<br /><br />As far as anchor go I really like the Fortress FX7 but it is not cheap. Rated Best by Coast Guard and Power Boats. The anchor is almumium and has sharp flutes that can be put at different angles. This anchor must be dropped correctly because it is very light. 4 Pound anchor good for boats up to 27 feet. You can not just stop and put engine in reverse and let line out because the light anchore will not get to the bottom. Instead must stop then put in reverse and feed out some line, then stop motion in the water and feed out line until anchore in contact with the bottom. Then back in slow reverse and feed out the proper scope. Tie it off and set anchore. This anchor set faster and deeper than any anchore I have ever had. Best thing of all the Wife can easily and pull the anchor because it is so light with out chain.

BillP

Captain

Choosing an anchor needs to be done by your local conditions. An anchor working somewhere else doesn't mean it will work for you. Example here is Boatist uses a Fortress and is happy. I had a Fortress and got rid of it...and kept my steel Danforths. Lightweigh aluminum flukes don't like to push down and penetrate any debris/grass/weeds/shells that may be on the bottom. It's a universal problem with aluminum anchors.<br /><br />Here is one, if not the best, web site about anchoring on the internet. <br /><br /> http://alain.fraysse.free.fr/sail/rode/rode_b.htm

nofish95

Cadet

Hey thanks Billp, but I'm trying to make to make this simple and that link makes my brain hurt.<br /><br />Fishing was much more relaxing with a canepole and bobber, not too complicated.<br /><br />nofish : :rolleyes:

f_inscreenname

Commander

I am in the upper bay (same bottom) and I use a steel Danforth. I was out a couple weeks ago in 30mph winds and it held fine. Just be careful not to drag a anchor to far in the Bay. There is a million cables and under water abjects out there. Trust me I know and thats why I wont spend a lot of money on one either. Sometimes the bay gives and sometimes it takes away.

Andrew Leigh

Chief Petty Officer

Hi again,<br /><br />I have an anchor that resembles a grappling hook. The anchor line is tied to the bottom of the anchor and is fed along the length of the anchor shaft where at the top it is secured with a small cable tie. When freeing the anchor one pulls firmly, breaking the cable tie, the anchor can now be pulled against the direction it was secured allowing for easy retrieval every time.<br /><br />How does one retrieve a Danforth type?<br /><br />Cheers<br />Andrew

BillP

Captain

Pull in the anchor line and reduce the scope. It pulls the anchor upward instead of letting it continue to dig in horizontally. If a Danforth is "stuck" deep you can pull in the line until the anchor is staight down. Then cleat the line off tight and let boat movement work the anchor out. You can use the motor to help but the anchor has a better chance of getting bent this way. Danforths won't hold without a good scope...5:1-10:1 for my purposes.