Ty Willingham's Dismissal (RANT)

NYMINUTE

Captain
Here goes the sports media. Made it racial. Right or wrong, love em or hate em, Notre Dame is the employer. The conditions of employment and his contract must have been clear 3 years ago. In my humble opinion, if the job is not getting done to your satisfaction, options are to retrain, or replace. Coaching careers are not noted for longevity. The problem is and has been the MEDIA in racial issues. (Rant)

KaGee

Admiral
Re: Ty Willingham's Dismissal (RANT)

What? Are they claiming he was fired because he's black?

Carphunter

Commander

You hit the nail squarely on the head NYM!<br /><br />Expectations at Notre Dame are to win.........period. Doesn't matter what color he is, they weren't winning.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by KaGee:<br /> What? Are they claiming he was fired because he's black?
ESPN and Fox both. Claim is the white coachs got 5 years to get tossed. Dan Patrick, and the clown on Fox Radio drive time. It sounds like they want you to do lifetime with a coach if he is a minority. Oddly enough Willingham has said nothing negative. He is a class guy. Frankly Notre Dame is a school with a LARGE EGO.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by NYMINUTE:<br /> Frankly Notre Dame is a school with a LARGE EGO.
And Oh, how the mighty have fallen.<br /><br />Sorry to say, ND's best days are behind her... no matter the coach, white or black.<br /><br />Their ego prevents them from moving forward into the current century. The BCS rules now, and ND... even with "Touchdown Jesus" hasn't a prayer of regaining stature until they get with the BCS program. That means aligning with a BCS conference and forgetting about the "Independant" cow dung. Hire any coach, but the best players are gonna go where they get the most bang for the buck. <br /><br />Todays sportscasters are getting like their newscaster cousins... which is why I no longer watch Sportscenter or any similar program.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by KaGee:<br />
Originally posted by NYMINUTE:<br /> Frankly Notre Dame is a school with a LARGE EGO.
And Oh, how the mighty have fallen.<br /><br />Sorry to say, ND's best days are behind her... no matter the coach, white or black.<br /><br />Their ego prevents them from moving forward into the current century. The BCS rules now, and ND... even with "Touchdown Jesus" hasn't a prayer of regaining stature until they get with the BCS program. That means aligning with a BCS conference and forgetting about the "Independant" cow dung. Hire any coach, but the best players are gonna go where they get the most bang for the buck. <br /><br />Todays sportscasters are getting like their newscaster cousins... which is why I no longer watch Sportscenter or any similar program.
11.gif
Ditto.

mattttt25

Commander

i have heard very little on the race issue. i don't think most people are even thinking about it.<br /><br />now as for the real news, not sure if it was a good decision or not. but i do like it- very bold move by nd to fire a coach smack in the middle of his contract. sends a good signal that they won't settle for mediocracy. spend a weekend in south bend, walking the campus and seeing how the school operates, and you'll understand that nd is far from done. they will be back, no doubt in my mind. that school is football.

KaGee

Admiral

I don't think so Matt. Only from the practicle standpoint of recruiting. BCS Schools will get the cream. <br /><br />ND has been out of the Spotlight for soooo long as far as a National Championship is concerned I don't believe they can compete for the top recruits under the current setup.

1730V

Chief Petty Officer

It all depends on if players want a very high quality education or not. ND can and does offer that.<br />I doubt many players think of that.

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

My understanding is that T.W. got the axe because he couldn't get them into a bcs bowl game. This costs ND $millions. Plus I am under the impression that ND still maintains their very high academic requirements of all students including football players. If thats true they're setting the bar awfully high for a lot of jocks.

mattttt25

Commander

i agree to a point. it is correct that nd has relatively high academic standards, when compared to other top football schools (florida, miami, etc). it does make it a bit more difficult to snag some top recruits. but they get plenty. i think they have something like 36 parade all americans on their team. these guys were the cream of the crop coming out of high school. so they get plenty of talent to compete with the big boys. heck, they beat up michigan this year.<br /><br />i quite familiar with the recruitment issue. having attended the u.s. naval academy and now working there, i see what it has taken to turn a program around. the academy has put over $40M into their stadium and other facilites, hired a proven winner as a coach (paul johnson, winningest div 1 coach over a 5 year span), and rallied around the team. what has it done? back to back winning seasons and trips to a bowl game. navy is 8-2 this year.<br /><br />navy didn't relax their academic standards. but they did the right things to improve recruiting and got as coach who can convince his players they can win.<br /><br />the head coach at nd is the most difficult coaching position in all levels of football. it takes a special person. if they find that person, they will be back.

KaGee

Admiral

Heard on the radio today that ND has not had a first round NFL draft pick since 1994. None expected this year either.<br /><br />Compared to Ohio State, which had 14 players drafted overall last year, several have starting roles.