Two ?s PLEASE - on 87 johnson 50hp vro

skelly

Seaman Apprentice
I have noticed that when i use decarb foam, I have a small leak behind the (AIR LIKE) inlet valve on the electric choke,Just a few drips of foam,Is this a comon thing, Or could this cause me problems?--- 2nd ? - is my fuel pump on the intake manifold or in my VRO? My manual jumps from year to year, Not shure Thanks skelly.

redddog23

Cadet
Re: Two ?s PLEASE - on 87 johnson 50hp vro

If you have added the schraeder valve to your primer the o-ring in the schreader valve has hardened over time and doesn't seal well. Time to get a replacement valve kit and install it. Easy and cheap. This is a commonly overlooked air leak on older engines.

skelly

Seaman Apprentice

Redddod23 Thanks so much for the quick response,

ob

Admiral

skelly,Your engines fuel pump(vro pump) is near the lower carb area .You can trace the fuel and oil hose to it from where they enter the engine case.The unit is "black" in color and is of a duel fluid pump design.One segment of the vro pumps gasoline and the other pumps TCW3 oil.Both pump segments are driven by a common diaphragm (air motor)that utilizes crankcase pulses as its actuating source.

skelly

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks OB! I have a rough idle problem, going to check reeds so I might as well clean carbs again and check fuel pump too. done most everything else.