Two questions about my 120hp Force

yzmotox

Cadet
Ok I have two questions about a 120hp Force motor that was attached to a boat I puchased a few weeks ago, First question I cannot find any serial numbers or any sort of numbers on the motor therefor I do not know what year the motor is and I cannot get it registered without them. so does anyone know how to get them? <br /><br />Second question the motor and everything run fine except when I put it in reverse it makes like a loud clicking noise and if Im gentle with the throttle it will go in to reverse but only if the boat is not moving forward at all. What cold be the problam? Now after reading this forum before posting I seen where to put it in drive while the motor was not running and did so the prop did not turn but while in nuetral it would but made a small clicking noise does that help explain anything?

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: Two questions about my 120hp Force

Either the shifter is out of whack or you have the Mercury gearcase on it and the RingNut has been pushed back as well as the brg carrier...which houses the rev gear.<br /><br />As for the Nums...If the main tag is gone...look for a frost plug...I know that Mercury used to put the serial nums on them in the past.<br /><br />TMD

yzmotox

Cadet

Thanks Doc for the reply. Are the problems you speak of easy to fix and are they costly? After posting the forum earlier today I took the boat out and noticed that the throttle is a Mercury throttle would that mean that it has the Mercury gearcase on it also? If your thinking why haven't I look at the repair manual well its on order and I'm waiting for it to get here. thanks again Doc.

The Marine Doctor

Commander

If you take the prop off there MAY be a RingNut...you cannot miss it.<br /><br />TMD

yzmotox

Cadet

Thanks I will look at that this afternoon.