Two engine choices...same price...which one?

zoom50

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just bought an 18' Sea Pro 180 CC and I had the choice of a 2 stroke Yamaha or Johnson (90 hp). The sales rep said they are both great motors and that the Johny was 4 cylinders and Yamaha was 3. I chose the Yamaha just because that is what I see charter fisherman using in the Chesapeake. <br /><br />What are specific advantages/disadvantages of both?<br /><br />Also, 4 stroke is not an option given my budget...Got the boat w/trailer out the door for $15,400.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Two engine choices...same price...which one?

If I am not mistaken, the 90 is the largest Yamaha triple, but the Johnson 90 is the smallest V-4. I would've opted for the Johnny myself, but you can't beat Yamaha quality. If anyone else comes close it would be Johnnyrude. The V-4 probably would've been quicker out of the hole and you probably would get a few more mph. Naturally that comes with the cost of burning more fuel.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

To Outboard Non-repair

winoandino

Seaman Apprentice

The Johnson would give you better performance and you are already at the bottom of the hp scale for that boat. I believe after a season of running with that small 90 Yamaha you will dream of a stronger engine. Remember, the govt allows 10 variance when companies rate their engines so there could be up to an 18hp difference in two engines rated 90hp. The 90 Johnson is very similiar to their 115, but the 90 Yamaha is far from their 115. Both are very reliable engines. The V-4 Johnson block has been around forever it seems and is very reliable, espicially since Bombardier started building them. <br /><br />Plus that whole "By American" thing.<br /><br />Just my opinion, fwiw.

boling

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I got the same boat, with the 115 Johnson 2s. So far, so good. Still in the break-in process.