Twinkies are 75 years old

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
That's right, them little cakes will be 75 this month.<br />So come on, how many have you ate in the last 75 years. You would be surprised how many has been eaten.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Re: Twinkies are 75 years old

We people have spent over $47 million dollars just on Twinkies in the last 12 months. :eek:

SpinnerBait_Nut

That's over 500 million a year.<br /><br />Nutritionists scoff at them for being fatty and sugary, but that doesn't keep Hostess from turning out about 1,000 per minute. And just in case you wondered exactly how that happens, the cakes are baked for 10 minutes, then the cream filling is injected through three holes in the top, which is browned from baking. The cake is flipped before packaging, so the rounded yellow bottom becomes the top.<br /><br />Now who would have thunk? :cool:

JB

Ate part of one once.<br /><br />Yech, BLEAH!!

LubeDude

Admiral

Im off to the store just to show my support!!!!!

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by LubeDude:<br /> Im off to the store just to show my support!!!!!
Thanks LD, me thinks I will go buy a bunch and take them to the senior center and hand them out. :)

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Are they all 75 or just the ones ya get around here.<br /><br />Actually I don't eat the things myself...to sweet for me.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Shelf life for a twinkie is 26 days, so I would not think the one's around you neumanns are 75 years old. :p

SpinnerBait_Nut

Anyone want a real treat?<br />Try deep fried Twinkies.<br />Here is the recipe I use to use when the kids were still at home.<br />_______________________________________________<br />For Twinkies: <br /><br />6 Twinkies <br />Popsicle sticks <br />4 cups vegetable oil <br />Flour for dusting <br />_______________________________________________<br />For batter: <br /><br />1 cup milk <br />2 tablespoons vinegar <br />1 tablespoon oil <br />1 cup flour <br />1 teaspoon baking powder <br />1/2 teaspoon salt <br />_______________________________________________<br />Chill or freeze Twinkies for several hours or overnight. <br /><br />Heat 4 cups vegetable oil in deep fryer to about 375 degrees. <br /><br />To make batter: Mix together milk, vinegar and oil. In another bowl, blend flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk wet ingredients into dry and continue mixing until smooth. Refrigerate while oil heats. <br /><br />Push stick into Twinkie lengthwise, leaving about 2 inches to use as a handle, dust with flour and dip into the batter. Rotate Twinkie until batter covers entire cake. Place carefully in hot oil. The Twinkie will float, so hold it under with a utensil to ensure even browing. It should turn golden in 3 to 4 minutes. Depending on the size of your deep fryer, you might be able to fry only one at a time, two at the most. <br /><br />Remove Twinkie to paper towel and let drain. Remove stick and allow Twinkie to sit for about 5 minutes before serving. <br />________________________________________________<br />For an extra treat, the sauce.<br />________________________________________________<br />Berry Sauce<br />1 10-ounce jar of seedless raspberry preserves <br />1 cup fresh or frozen mixed berries <br /><br />In a saucepan, heat preserves over low heat until melted. Add 1 cup of fresh or frozen mixed berries. Heat until sauce just simmers. <br />Cover; refrigerate until served.

brother chris

Commander

Originally posted by SBN:<br /> Shelf life for a twinkie is 26 days, so I would not think the one's around you neumanns are 75 years old. :p
Well well. I was told that the shelf life was 7 years. I ate one that was 4 years old once. Never got sick either. (although I think I am getting sick now)<br />But thanks for the heads up on this. I will NEVER eat another 4 year old twinkie again.

magster65

Commander

I'm with JB. I never liked those little lard logs... they taste 75 years old!

NYMINUTE

Captain

How nice to know..............Time to go fishing!!

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by SBN:<br /> Shelf life for a twinkie is 26 days, ...
where ya get that number 26 days?? ..<br /><br />MIT did a study on 'em in 1998 and came to the conclusion that they have the shelf life of Uranium 235 .. :p

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

"And he died with his dingdong in his hand, Spreading cream filled cupcakes all across this land"<br /><br />Now ya got this song running through my head but I don't remember the rest...Maybe I'll have to hunt it down if I get time latter. Funny song, but I don't even remember who sang it. Thanks sbn...nothing like one refrain rattling around in your head repeatedly.....

gaugeguy

Captain

A line from my teenage years..."she could suck the filling out of a twinkie" :p

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by neumanns:<br /> "And he died with his dingdong in his hand, Spreading cream filled cupcakes all across this land"
That's obscenely offensive!<br /><br /><br /> :p <br /> :D

D

DJ

SBN,<br /><br />You are far too much of an authority on this subject.<br /><br />At least allot more than I would admit. ;) :D

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Originally posted by gaugeguy:<br /> A line from my teenage years..."she could suck the filling out of a twinkie" :p
BLEEAAHH!!! :eek: :eek: i ain't ever gonna be sucking on no 75year old twinkie again!! BLEEAAH :eek: <br /><br />oops! bad dream y'all :( <br /> :D :D