Twin Volvo 305's in 1994 Silverton?

jasperboy

Seaman
Got a bad case of two foot-itis and I am looking at a 1994 Silverton 312. It has twin volvo 305's and I was curious what people thought of that setup? Boat is listed at 9900 lbs, and loaded up it would be much heavier of course. I'm not looking for a ski boat, but don't want to be undepowered. What are peoples thoughts?

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: Twin Volvo 305's in 1994 Silverton?

Twin small blocks in that Silverton are an appropriate engine package for the size and weight. Obviously, your speed & fuel consumption are going to vary accoriding to the total weight (and how it's loaded), hull condition and cleanliness, water conditions, current, wind, engine tuning, maintenance, etc. You didn't specify what HP ratings they had and it also will depend somewhat on the transmission packages (gearing ratio) and the size/pitch of the props. It will also make a difference if they're carburetored or fuel injected.

When doing your survey sea trials (you ARE getting a survey...AREN'T YOU???), the surveyor will have a spec sheet for your vessel to determine if it performs according to standards. You (guessing here) will probably get a top speed of around 25-28 MPH and a 3/4 throttle cruising speed of 18-20. I have found that the best part of owning a bigger boat is the slowing down and lightly cruising the waterway. I used to love to fly around in a boat, now I'm in in for the ride.

BTW, not sure what your economic standpoint is, but at 3/4 throttle +, you're looking at .75-1.0 MPG (equates to 25-40 GPH fuel burn)...juss' sayin'. When you slow down and enjoy the ride, you can easily get 1.5+ MPG.

Thalasso

Commander
Re: Twin Volvo 305's in 1994 Silverton?

I have a 288 (30 ft ) FourWinns with twin 5.0 Volvo's, 270 horse and running at 3000rpm's fuel burn is 18GPH per engine. This is measured with flowmeters