Twice the work:Half the Help

Tyme2fish

Commander
Anybody else getting frustrated with their job? I've never exactly said what I do for a living and I prefer to keep it that way for now. Let's just say I'm a "professional" in the medical field.<br /><br />New manager where I work. New systems in place to "save time" and increase productivity. Bull Hockey. I have to work twice as hard with a third of the help to finish four times the previous volume. ARRGGGHHHHH.<br /><br />I'm 6 years from retirement but think everyday, this isn't worth it anymore. I'm "only" 56 years old now but have almost one million $ in savings,stocks,401K etc. Have zero debt,everything paid off. I've always lived below my means and the only thing that scares me about quitting now is health insurance for myself and wife.<br /><br />Sorry if I sound like a crying baby, but how long does one have to put up with the idiotic public and stupid bosses??<br /><br />Just venting to my I-boats friends. There, I feel better already. Well, I better go to sleep now as I work nightshift and have to go back to work tonight.<br /><br />You all have a good day.

KaGee

Admiral
Re: Twice the work:Half the Help

I would say it's all a matter of perception. I think there are many people, self included, that would be ecstatic to be in your position.

ndemge

Commander

Go find something you enjoy doing that has benifits for another 5 years or so, unless that 6 years will give you a better retirement, vested time and such, move on.<br /><br />Move to another wing of the same field and enjoy yourself.<br /><br />6 Years of crap can make you feel 50 years older when you do finally get to retirement.

dolluper

Captain

I was going to work until 55 but I deceided at 48 I had worked enough,had a very good business and the time was right.Enviromental issues was the clincher,spend 100 grand to work for 7 more years,don't think so.Easy to do the math,so I sold out and don't regret it in the least.Sometimes life is more important than working with pressures,you will know when the time is right.Yes I did work with public on a daily bases,that is about the only part I miss,meeting new people and joking around with them.It all depends on your atitude I guess. Put on a smile it works

tommays

Admiral

i really do feel you pain i have a great job from a money standpoint BUT most of the workforce has become non english and its REALLY anoying<br /><br />we have to work like a fire department take care of the biggest problem and hope the small ones done get out of control<br /><br />and then i look at the good side this job is allowing me to put both children through collage without going into a debt that will take me 20 years to pay off :D <br /><br />so i kick myself in the *** and have learned to smile about it and just go in and get done what i can get done and let the chips fall were they may<br /><br />i see way to many people with nothing and nothing sucks much worse than any job<br /><br />tommays

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

Does your wife work and does her employer have benefits? <br /><br />A withdrawal rate of 4% from your savings should be a safe amount that you don't ever deplete your savings. Can you live on that? <br /> <br /><br />I make my living as a financial planner and suggest you find one who can help you make informed descision on your ability to retire.

Tyme2fish

Commander

Originally posted by KaGee:<br /> I would say it's all a matter of perception. I think there are many people, self included, that would be ecstatic to be in your position.
Yeh KG I'm only 6 years older than you and I know I'm sound on a finacial level. I always think what a recently "departed " Uncle said to me,"What will you do if you don't work?" That always struck home with me as I've worked my entire life. Idle minds are the Devil's workshop or something like that.

Tyme2fish

Commander

Originally posted by KM2:<br /> Does your wife work and does her employer have benefits? <br /><br />A withdrawal rate of 4% from your savings should be a safe amount that you don't ever deplete your savings. Can you live on that? <br /> <br /><br />I make my living as a financial planner and suggest you find one who can help you make informed descision on your ability to retire.
KM, Thanks for the reply. No, the wife does not work. We made the decision 25 plus years ago that she would stay home and be the "Mom" and take care of the needs of our children. See my post about "Raising Children" We are both very satisfied about those results. <br />I do have a financial planner and should probably consult him about my misgivings about remaining in the workforce for another 6 years.<br />It's just a case of being frustated with the lack of assistance in the field I work in. My employer could hire 6 "helpers" for the cost of me working 1 hour overtime with no pay. Not that I give them "free" time.

Moody Blue

Captain

I'd say get the heck out now. Who needs the stress and frustration day after day. You have worked hard all your life and built up a comfortable savings, now enjoy it while you are able to. My in-laws scrimped and saved all their life to enjoy retirement but when they finally did both retire (he at 64 she at 63) tragedy struck. He died of an anyurism (sp?) and she developed alzheimers and is in a home. Turns out they had put away a significant amount of money to travel the world with. They never got a chance.<br />If you're concerned about spare time why not consider volunteering at something you enjoy or develope a hobby or spend more time here at iboats :D . Get a part time job at something you always wanted to do but never found the time. Go back to school and learn something new. If I had the money I would not even think twice - at any age. My philosophy has always been 'work to live, not live to work'.

Tyme2fish

Commander

Originally posted by RodC:<br /> I'd say get the heck out now. Who needs the stress and frustration day after day. You have worked hard all your life and built up a comfortable savings, now enjoy it while you are able to. My in-laws scrimped and saved all their life to enjoy retirement but when they finally did both retire (he at 64 she at 63) tragedy struck. He died of an anyurism (sp?) and she developed alzheimers and is in a home. Turns out they had put away a significant amount of money to travel the world with. They never got a chance.<br />If you're concerned about spare time why not consider volunteering at something you enjoy or develope a hobby or spend more time here at iboats :D . Get a part time job at something you always wanted to do but never found the time. Go back to school and learn something new. If I had the money I would not even think twice - at any age. My philosophy has always been 'work to live, not live to work'.
RodC. Very good answer. Yes I like fishing and boating and I also play Bluegrass guitar. I've also been interested (not yet invloved) in (Habitat for Humanity?) Building and helping out disadvantaged persons in obtaining housing. The Jimmy Carter thing.<br />The wife and I are still joking that when the kids move out so does she. The oldest (daughter) is married with 3 children. The oldest son still lives at home but is engaged and looking to buy a home this week. The youngest (son) graduates from from college in December. We don't know what we'll do with the "empty nest". That's really a joke though, we love each other and have a very good relationship.<br />As far as a part time job, I'll be dogged if I'll work for $5.00 an hour enjoying it or not. I'd rather put up with "stuff" for $45.00 an hour doing what I find problems with. I guess that says a lot about my "value" on a dollar<br /><br />I know, I'm still "whining". But who else can I vent to than my I-boats buddies. :confused:

magster65

Commander

I'm with Rod on this. You have your finances in order so if there is no satisfaction of a job well done and only stress at work... what are you waiting for?<br />You have family, friends and hobbies to spend your time with. We don't live forever bud! I think it's Tyme2fish for you :)

EZLoader

Chief Petty Officer

Use your medical career skills to teach or volunteer with great organizations like Mercy Corps or NW Medical Teams. They are very short handed now with all the world tragedies this past 12 months.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sounds familiar, T2F.<br /><br />I thought I was well set up, too. Politics and regulatory changes at the college made my last few years there hell, so I "retired" as soon as I hit 62.<br /><br />Blue cross wanted $750/mo to insure me, so I bet that $750/mo that nothing serious would happen to me before I reached Medicare. I lost.<br /><br />By the time I reached medicare age I had 2 MIs, including double bypass and stent, prostate cancer, a near-fatal perforated ulcer and a major "correction" in the market. My capital was reduced to a fraction of its seemingly "well set" previous level.<br /><br />About all I had left was The Hideout and enough leftovers to meet my immediate needs along with SS. I was used to living modestly (except for my love of fine cars, fishing tackle, boats and guns) so I get by without a lot of pain. I have had to give up my Boston Whaler :( but manage to keep busy enough so I don't miss her too much.<br /><br />I do think that if I had stayed on I wouldn't have survived to retirement, but in retrospect I wish I had just gone to another school as a classroom instructor and hung in doing what I loved best until 65.<br /><br />Recent studies have shown that the life expectance of early retirees (before 60) is shortened by several years compared to those who retire after 60. They have no idea why and neither do I, unless it has to do with feelings of uselessness when one is not "needed" to do useful things for the community anymore.<br /><br />What you propose, the community service thing, would probably forestall any feelings of uselessness. Moderating here makes me feel useful, if not "needed" (by some).<br /><br />It is time for you to make a change, but I suggest that you change to a lower stress job that you enjoy rather than retire.<br /><br />Best of luck to you. :)

ZmOz

Captain

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life.<br /><br />Maybe you can take a pay cut and work part time doing something you like for the health care?<br /><br />I run my own business and I love every day of it. I don't even really define my time as working and not working. I could probably work less hours for someone else and get more money...but I'd be working for someone else. I do not take orders from anyone. I wake up in the morning and do what I like all day. <br /><br />Seriously, if I won the lottery, I'd probably keep working the same as I do now. It would just be a hobby instead of a livelihood.

PW2

Commander

I did the same excercise for my mother years ago. I knew she was set, but she had always worked hard, and penny pinched, to the point that was all she seemed to know how to do.<br /><br />I lined up a good financial planner, set up a plan for her to address all potential issues, including health care, etc. and basically showed her that she could double her spending, and the money would not run out till she was about 140 years old. Then we had what was best described as an "intervention".<br /><br />We finally got her to relax, and do what she always wanted to do. She took many trips to Ireland and Europe, and generally had a great time until she finally passed away. She earned it.<br /><br />My share of the inheritance was somewhat lowered, and that was perfectly ok with me!

Fly Rod

Commander

:) 40 years in the home construction and remodeling business, 35 of them years owning my own business,working with the tools and never had a bad day or not wanting to go to work!!!!<br /><br />On the other hand a very good friend of mine that was a pc designer hated his job and hated to see Monday mornings,had to drive 1-1/2 hrs. to and from work, always looked like he had been in a fight at the end of the day and now he is retired and happier!!!! ;) :cool: