turning point hustler vs the unknown manufacture

gov cheese

Cadet
I have a rinker 180 with a 3.0lx mercruiser alpha 1 . Someone gave me an unknown brand 14 1/4 x19 alum 3 blade. WTO range was great at 4800 rpm 37 mph GPS speed . Of coarse someone had to put a log in the harbor so I only got to enjoy that for two trips on the lake before it was destroyed. So I bought a tp hustler here on iboats 14 1/4 x 19 alum 3 blade now my wot is 3900 at 30mph GPS can't hardly get out of the hole . So I'm ether goning to exchange it for a 17 p hustler for $25 you can ship it back to them if its in new condition and they will send you another pitch. Guess I just don't know what to do stick with this brand and go through all the pitches till I get it rite. Anyone else have this issue with tp hustler props ? Or is there another brand someone uses with this similar boat that works well ? I'm just looking for all around performance . I mainly fish outa this boat but I live on big bay de noc in upper mi and have a lot of water to explore and it can get rough quick.just want a prop that performed like the one I destroyed. Any help would be great

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
My limited experience with the Hustler is it is aggressive and somewhat unpredictable.
Its interesting that the Turning point has the same 14% slip as your al prop at only 3900 rpm.
logic says as rpm goes up slip will come down.
but that missing 900 rpm is troubling. Are we absolutely sure the Hustler is a 19".Perhaps in the wrong box?
Is the motor undisturbed during the change? Perhaps the throttle adjustment was disturbed in the collision with the log?
A plug wire off?Something outside of the props is at work??Perhaps a motor mount broken?
Normally we would suggests a 1" reduction in pitch when going to an aggressive prop or a ss prop.
I would suggest talking to Turning Point based on their suggestions make your decision.
I would be inclined to try to find the same aluminum prop,hard to beat those numbers.

gov cheese

Cadet
Thanks for the reply . The prop is stamped 14 1/4 x 19 . Boat seems to be running well. the log hit was was at a very low speed in the harbor not real jarring. I also have a 14 1/4 x 17 alum that I had as a spare brand unknown I could get 5200 rpm with 26 GPS speed . I will go out and check to see if throttle is working properly, and also check engine mounts and everything else. I have half a notion to buy a 19 p solas and try it.wish all manufacturers stamped there name on there props it would be easier to duplicate.

gov cheese

Cadet
Since I bought the hub with the turning point hustler I just ordered a 14 1/4 x 17 tp hustler blade for under $90 . If that works I can always exchange the 19p For a 17p. As I learned building my 63 triumph chopper lessons don't come cheap..

gov cheese

Cadet
So it looks like you were rite .. went out tonight for another test run and things got worse. I seem to have completely lost #2 cylinder it has spark but dont fire. Now I'm completely lost . And I have a 17p prop on the way. Time to figure out what new problem is any ideas?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Sorry,
I'd start with a compression check on all cylinders. Minimum 100 psi and
within 10% between cylinders.Perhaps a head gasket water infiltration could make a dead cylinder.
Sometimes water infiltration will make the plug at that cylinder super clean.

Last edited:

gov cheese

Cadet
So I did a compression test this morning #160 on 1 -3-4. 0 compression on #2. I had no engine noise at all it starts and idles ruff but idles with no noise . I'm going go go dump a little oil in the cylinder and test again tho I doubt it will change anything. Would being over propped and cruising around at 3000rpms have caused this problem ? it slowly started loosing even more power last night until # 2 cylinder appeared to just go out completely. The plug in #2 cylinder was black and a little oily. Easy to place blame on something I suppose .. I know where there is a older 3.0 that says 140 on the valve cover are those heads the same? as I'm guessing its a valve problem. I bought the boat from my employer who forgot to winterized it and had a bran new engine put in and put it in the warehouse where it sat for a year before I purchased it and used it all last year. Ran good until I changed the prop.

gov cheese

Cadet
Just pulled the valve cover off and looking at engine from the front the third rocker back don't move as much as the others .if I tighten the nut it will move a little more. What's my next step? should I move theses questions to another topic?

gov cheese

Cadet
Just pulled the lifter on the problem rocker there is a small hole in the bottom of the lifter . I'm guessing this is the problem. What causes this and should I just replace the lifter or are there other concerns

gov cheese

Cadet
Just pulled the next lifter to see what the difference was. it looked good so i dropped it in the hole where bad lifter was it doesn't raise as high as the others, so its looking like the cam lobe is worn also guess I'm off to look for prices on cam and followers. Still interested in any recommendations you might have.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Someone may move this to the I/O page.
I just did the lifters on my chevy corvair Are yours hydraulic?
Stamped rockers on a stud?
The hole in the bottom;you mean the part that runs on the cam has a hole?
like broken or worn? A lifter for my Corvair was only $6.
I would replace it can you see the cam lobe for that lifter?
The hydraulic lifters on my Corvair you warm the motor then with it running you
back off the rocker nut till it starts to tap give it 10 seconds if it stop tapping loose gently till it taps 10 seconds.
Still noisy tighten carefully till its quiet.If it stays quite turn it 1/4 turn more and leave it.
Thats for hydralic lifters.

gov cheese

Cadet
yes I believe there hydraulic. The rocker has one nut on top. Yes the part of the lifter that rides on the cam is cupped and a small hole wore into it ,witch allows oil to squirt thru the worn hole. Witch allows the push rod to push inside the lifter witch the others wont do when filled with oil . I can see the cam lobe but not well when I took out the next lifter inline it was not cupped like the other one with the hole.I put it in place of the cupped lifter with the hole and turned the engine over it don't ride as high as all the others so I'm assuming the cam lobe is wore as well . Ive found a cam and lifters on eBay new for $120 . Less than the prop that I just bought two of ..so my question now is what is the cause of the lobe and lifter wear? Is just a new cam and lifters the fix?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
I guess the logic says the litfer failed and ruined the lobe.Or perhaps the other way around.
New cam and lifters sure sounds like the best way out. You do have to wonder about the other lobes.
you know when the new overhead valve V8s came out in the late 40s and early 50s they had a lot of cam failures.

gov cheese

Cadet
I will order a cam and lifters.but my neighbor had a trashed boat in his back yard so I went and ripped a lifter outa it and replaced my worn one. Just to see a.and like magic it fired up an ran better than it ever has dumped it in the lake and I can push that tp hustler prop to 5400rpms and 34mph when the 17" I ordered shows up ill send it back and get the 21" that should put me rite where I need to be thank you very much for your help . I was a little overwhelmed there for a little bit..

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Your numbers don't add up. I think your tach is whacky. 5400 at 34 mph calculates to 30% slip Over double of typical slip(12%)
The tach is always suspect when slip is high.You need to confirm the tach.before selecting a prop.
Other reasons for slip issues are a poor prop; your Hustler prop is highly unlikely to have a high slip.
The other cause for high slip is a large heavy boat or a hull that is compromised or a bottom that is rough or misshapen.
While a 19" prop might over rev a 600 rpm over rev is unlikely.
You sound like a motor guy what does a 4 cylinder car motor sound like at 5400 rpm?Pretty busy right?

gov cheese

Cadet
I will check the tac it was jumping around a lot today .. but the boat ran smoother than it ever has on 3 foot chop today..